How to count cells match to either X or Y in Excel?
In many cases, you may need to count cells that contain text value “juice” or text value “pie” in Excel as the left screenshot shown. This article will show you some methods to achieve it.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
The following formula will help you to count cells match to either value X or Y in Excel. Please do as follows.
1. Select a blank cell, enter formula =COUNTIF(A2:A7,"*juice*")+COUNTIF(A2:A7,"*pie*") into the Formula Bar, then press the Enter key. See screenshot:
Note: In the formula, you can see there are wildcard characters * display on the left and right sides of the certain text value. You can remove the wildcard characters if you want to count cells exactly equal to either X or Y.
Then you will get the total number of cells match to either text value “juice” or “pie” in Excel.
You can also create a User-defined function to count cells match to either X or Y in Excel.
1. Press Alt + F11 keys simultaneously to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. In the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, click Insert > Module. Then copy and paste the following VBA code into the Module window.
VBA code: Count cells match to either X or Y in Excel
Function FindTwoStrings(Target As Range, xS1 As String, xS2 As String) As Long Application.Volatile If TypeName(Target) <> "Range" Then Exit Function Dim xCell As Range For Each xCell In Target.Cells If xCell.Value <> "" Then If (InStrRev(UCase(xCell.Value), UCase(xS1), -1, vbTextCompare) > 0) Or _ (InStrRev(UCase(xCell.Value), UCase(xS2), -1, vbTextCompare) > 0) _ Then FindTwoStrings = FindTwoStrings + 1 End If Next xCell End Function
3. Press Alt + Q keys to close the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
4. Now select a blank cell, enter formula =FindTwoStrings(A2:A7,"juice","pie") into the Formula Bar, and then press the Enter key to get the result. See screenshot:
Here we recommend you the Select Specific Cells utility of Kutools for Excel. With this utility, you can easily
count cells match to either X or Y in a specified range in Excel. Please do as follows.
1. Select the range you need to count, then click Kutools > Select > Select Specific Cells. See screenshot:
2. In the Select Specific Cells dialog box, you need to:
1). Select the Cell option in the Selection type section;
2). In the Specific type section, select Contains in the first drop-down list, and enter the first text value into the text box.;
3). Select Contains in the second drop-down list, and enter the second text value into the text box, then choose the Or option. And finally click the OK button. See screenshot:
Now another Select Specific Cells dialog box pops up to tell you how many cells were found and selected, please click the OK button.
If you want to have a free trial of this utility, please go to free download the software first, and then go to apply the operation according above steps.
- How to check if a cell value match to a list in Excel?
- How to find matched value by searching upwards in Excel?
- How to match dates by month and year only in Excel?
- How to sort a column to match the value in another column in Excel?