How to count cells match to either X or Y in Excel?
In many cases, you may need to count cells that contain text value “juice” or text value “pie” in Excel as the left screenshot shown. This article will show you some methods to achieve it.
Count cells match to either X or Y in Excel with formula
Count cells match to either X or Y in Excel with User-defined function
Easily count cells match to either X or Y in Excel with Kutools for Excel
The following formula will help you to count cells match to either value X or Y in Excel. Please do as follows.
1. Select a blank cell, enter the below formula into it and then press the Enter key.
Note: In the formula, you can see there are wildcard characters * display on the left and right sides of the certain text value. You can remove the wildcard characters if you want to count cells exactly equal to either X or Y.
Then you will get the total number of cells match to either text value “juice” or “pie” in Excel.
You can also create a User-defined function to count cells match to either X or Y in Excel.
1. Press Alt + F11 keys simultaneously to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. In the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, click Insert > Module. Then copy and paste the following VBA code into the Module window.
VBA code: Count cells match to either X or Y in Excel
Function FindTwoStrings(Target As Range, xS1 As String, xS2 As String) As Long Application.Volatile If TypeName(Target) <> "Range" Then Exit Function Dim xCell As Range For Each xCell In Target.Cells If xCell.Value <> "" Then If (InStrRev(UCase(xCell.Value), UCase(xS1), -1, vbTextCompare) > 0) Or _ (InStrRev(UCase(xCell.Value), UCase(xS2), -1, vbTextCompare) > 0) _ Then FindTwoStrings = FindTwoStrings + 1 End If Next xCell End Function
3. Press Alt + Q keys to close the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
4. Now select a blank cell, enter the below formula into it and then press the Enter key to get the result.
Here we recommend you the Select Specific Cells utility of Kutools for Excel. With this utility, you can easily count cells match to either X or Y in a specified range in Excel. Please do as follows.
Before applying Kutools for Excel, please download and install it firstly.
1. Select the range you need to count, then click Kutools > Select > Select Specific Cells. See screenshot:
2. In the Select Specific Cells dialog box, you need to:
3. Then another Select Specific Cells dialog box pops up to tell you how many cells were found and selected. After that, you can click the OK button to close it.
- How to check if a cell value match to a list in Excel?
- How to find matched value by searching upwards in Excel?
- How to match dates by month and year only in Excel?
- How to sort a column to match the value in another column in Excel?
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!