How to match dates by month and year only in Excel?
When comparing dates in Excel, you may need to match the dates by month and year only without considering day. How to achieve it? The following methods will help you.
Excel Productivity Tools
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 70% of your time and solve 80% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced features designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately. 60-day Unlimited Free Trial
As below screenshot shown, supposing you need to compare two date lists and match the dates by month and year only, you can apply the below formula to achieve it.
1. Select a blank cell, enter formula =MONTH(A2)&YEAR(A2)=MONTH(B2)&YEAR(B2) into the Formula Bar, and then press the Enter key. See screenshot:
1). In the formula, A2 and B2 is the dates you will compare and match by month and year only. Please change them as you need.
2). For the TRUE result, it means that these two compared dates are matched by month and year. If not, you will get the FALSE result.
2. Keep selecting the result cell, drag the Fill Handle down to compare other dates. See screenshot:
If you want to compare a range of dates by month and year based on a given date, and highlight all matched cells as below screenshot shown, you can try the following Conditional Formatting methods. Please do as follows.
1. Select the date range you will highlight based on the month and year of a given date, and then click Home > Conditional Formatting > New Rule. See screenshot shown.
2. In the New Formatting Rule dialog box, you need to:
2.1 Select Use a formula to determine which cells to format option in the Select a Rule Type box;
2.2 Enter formula =TEXT(A2,"myyyy")=TEXT(DATE(2015,1,6),"myyyy") into the Format values where this formula is true box;
2.3 Click the Format button to specify a highlight color for the matched cells;
2.4 Click the OK button. See screenshot:
Note: In the formula, A2 is the first cell of selected date range, 2015,1,6 is the given date you need to compare with. Please change them based on your need.
After clicking the OK button, all cells which match the month and year of the given date will be highlighted immediately as blow screenshot shown.
- How to check if a cell value match to a list in Excel?
- How to count cells match to either X or Y in Excel?
- How to find matched value by searching upwards in Excel?
- How to sort a column to match the value in another column in Excel?