How to check if a certain range name exists in Excel?
Before running some VBA script, you may need to check if a named range exists in current workbook. The VBA code provided in this article can help you to quickly check if a certain range name exists in Excel.
Recommended Excel Productivity Tools
You can run the below VBA code to quickly check if a certain range name exists in current workbook.
1. Press Alt + F11 keys simultaneously to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. In the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, click Insert > Module. Then copy and paste the below VBA code into the window.
VBA code: check if a certain range exists in Excel
Sub CheckRanges() Dim chkRange As Range Dim areasName(2) As String Dim chkCnt As Long Dim i As Integer areasName(0) = "new" areasName(1) = "MyRange" areasName(2) = "Range2" Application.ScreenUpdating = False For i = 0 To 2 On Error Resume Next chkCnt = Len(ThisWorkbook.Names(areasName(i)).Name) On Error GoTo 0 If chkCnt <> 0 Then Set chkRange = Range(areasName(i)) MsgBox "This Range: '" & areasName(i) & "' DOES exist!", vbInformation, "Kutools for Excel" chkCnt = 0 Else MsgBox "This Range: '" & areasName(i) & "' does NOT exist!", vbInformation, "Kutools for Excel" End If Next i Application.ScreenUpdating = True End Sub
1). In the code, "new", "MyRange" and "Range2" are the range names you need to check in current workbook.
2.) The number 2 in the code means that there are three range names you need to check. If you need to add more range names (the same as to delete) to the code, please change the number 2 to corresponding letter.
3. Press the F5 key to run the code. Then an Kutools for Excel dialog boxes pop up to tell you whether the specified range name exists or not, please click the OK buttons successively to close the dialog boxes. See screenshot:
- How to check if first character in a cell is a letter or number in Excel?
- How to check if a cell value is between two values in Excel?
- How to check if cell begins or ends with a specific character in Excel?