How to check if a certain range name exists in Excel?
Before running some VBA script, you may need to check if a named range exists in current workbook. The VBA code provided in this article can help you to quickly check if a certain range name exists in Excel.
You can run the below VBA code to quickly check if a certain range name exists in current workbook.
1. Press Alt + F11 keys simultaneously to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. In the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, click Insert > Module. Then copy and paste the below VBA code into the window.
VBA code: check if a certain range exists in Excel
Sub CheckRanges() Dim chkRange As Range Dim areasName(2) As String Dim chkCnt As Long Dim i As Integer areasName(0) = "new" areasName(1) = "MyRange" areasName(2) = "Range2" Application.ScreenUpdating = False For i = 0 To 2 On Error Resume Next chkCnt = Len(ThisWorkbook.Names(areasName(i)).Name) On Error GoTo 0 If chkCnt <> 0 Then Set chkRange = Range(areasName(i)) MsgBox "This Range: '" & areasName(i) & "' DOES exist!", vbInformation, "Kutools for Excel" chkCnt = 0 Else MsgBox "This Range: '" & areasName(i) & "' does NOT exist!", vbInformation, "Kutools for Excel" End If Next i Application.ScreenUpdating = True End Sub
3. Press the F5 key to run the code. Then an Kutools for Excel dialog boxes pop up to tell you whether the specified range name exists or not, please click the OK buttons successively to close the dialog boxes. See screenshot:
- How to check if first character in a cell is a letter or number in Excel?
- How to check if a cell value is between two values in Excel?
- How to check if cell begins or ends with a specific character in Excel?
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!