How to check if first character in a cell is a letter or number in Excel?
This article is talking about checking if the first character in a cell is a letter or number in Excel. Please do as follows.
Recommended Productivity Tools for Excel/Office
You can apply the following formulas to check if the first character in a cell is a letter or number in Excel.
1. Select a blank cell for placing the checking result, then enter formula =IF(ISERR(LEFT(A2,1)*1),"letter","number") into the Formula Bar, and then press the Enter key. See screenshot:
Note: In the formula, A2 is the cell contains the value you need to check.
2. Keep selecting the result cell, drag the Fill Handle down until all corresponding cells are checked.
You will get a result which displayed as letter if the cell value begins with letter. Otherwise, you will get the result displayed as number as below screenshot shown.
Note: If the first character of specified cell is a special character, please apply the following formula =IF(A2="","",IF(AND(CODE(LEFT(A2,1))>=48,CODE(LEFT(A2,1))<=57),"Number",IF(OR(AND(CODE(LEFT(A2,1))>=65,CODE(LEFT(A2,1))<=90),AND(CODE(LEFT(A2,1))>=97,CODE(LEFT(A2,1))<=122)),"Letter","Other"))) to get the results. See screenshot:
- How to check if a certain range name exists in Excel?
- How to check if a cell value is between two values in Excel?
- How to check if cell begins or ends with a specific character in Excel?
Recommended Productivity Tools
Bring handy tabs to Excel and other Office software, just like Chrome, Firefox and new Internet Explorer.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
300 New Features for Excel, Make Excel Much Easy and Powerful:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...