How to clear filter cache (old items) from Pivot Table in Excel?
As below screenshot shown, you create a Pivot Table based on a range of data. After deleting data from the source range, the old item will still exist in the drop-down menu of Pivot Table even though you refreshing the Pivot Table. If you want to remove all old items from the drop-down menu of a Pivot Table, methods in this article can help you.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
You can clear filter cache from a Pivot Table by changing its option. Please do as follows.
1. Right click on any cell inside the Pivot Table, then click PivotTable Options from the context menu. See screenshot:
2. In the PivotTable Options dialog box, click the Data tab, select None from the Number of items to retain per field drop-down list, and then click the OK button.
3. Right click on the Pivot Table cell, then click Refresh from the right-clicking menu. See screenshot:
Then you can see the old items are removed from the drop-down menu of the Pivot Table as below screenshot shown.
If you want to clear filter cache from all Pivot Tables across multiple worksheets in active workbook. Please try the below VBA script.
1. In the workbook you need to clear old items from all Pivot Tables, press the Alt + F11 keys simultaneously to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. In the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, double click the ThisWorkbook in the Project pane to open the ThisWorkbook (Code) window, and then copy and paste the below VBA code into the window.
VBA code: Clear filter cache (old items) from all Pivot Tables in active workbook
Private Sub Workbook_Open() Dim xPt As PivotTable Dim xWs As Worksheet Dim xPc As PivotCache Application.ScreenUpdating = False For Each xWs In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets For Each xPt In xWs.PivotTables xPt.PivotCache.MissingItemsLimit = xlMissingItemsNone Next xPt Next xWs For Each xPc In ActiveWorkbook.PivotCaches On Error Resume Next xPc.Refresh Next xPc Application.ScreenUpdating = True End Sub
3. Press the F5 key to run the code, then old items are removed immediately from the drop-down menu of all Pivot Tables in active workbook.
- How to clear filters from all worksheets in active workbook in Excel?
- How to clear filters when opening, saving or closing workbook in Excel?
- How to filter data based on checkbox in Excel?
- How to fill series of numbers in a filtered list column in Excel?
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 months agoit works, thank you
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 9 months agoIt worked for me. Thank you!
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoI got a pivot of a table where the filter shows an incorrect value. The analyst name is A in the filter (set retain values to none) but if you go to the table, the same line has the analyst B. If you double click on the line in the pivot table it generates a sheet with the data where the analyst name is B despite the pivot showing A. This table is updated once a month, it worries me because I often do this, update my raw data and update the pivot, now that I have this precedent I cannot trust the information is correct.