How to clear filter cache (old items) from Pivot Table in Excel?
As below screenshot shown, you create a Pivot Table based on a range of data. After deleting data from the source range, the old item will still exist in the drop-down menu of Pivot Table even though you refreshing the Pivot Table. If you want to remove all old items from the drop-down menu of a Pivot Table, methods in this article can help you.
You can clear filter cache from a Pivot Table by changing its option. Please do as follows.
1. Right click on any cell inside the Pivot Table, then click PivotTable Options from the context menu. See screenshot:
2. In the PivotTable Options dialog box, click the Data tab, select None from the Number of items to retain per field drop-down list, and then click the OK button.
3. Right click on the Pivot Table cell, then click Refresh from the right-clicking menu. See screenshot:
Then you can see the old items are removed from the drop-down menu of the Pivot Table as below screenshot shown.
If you want to clear filter cache from all Pivot Tables across multiple worksheets in active workbook. Please try the below VBA script.
1. In the workbook you need to clear old items from all Pivot Tables, press the Alt + F11 keys simultaneously to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. In the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, double click the ThisWorkbook in the Project pane to open the ThisWorkbook (Code) window, and then copy and paste the below VBA code into the window.
VBA code: Clear filter cache (old items) from all Pivot Tables in active workbook
Private Sub Workbook_Open() Dim xPt As PivotTable Dim xWs As Worksheet Dim xPc As PivotCache Application.ScreenUpdating = False For Each xWs In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets For Each xPt In xWs.PivotTables xPt.PivotCache.MissingItemsLimit = xlMissingItemsNone Next xPt Next xWs For Each xPc In ActiveWorkbook.PivotCaches On Error Resume Next xPc.Refresh Next xPc Application.ScreenUpdating = True End Sub
3. Press the F5 key to run the code, then old items are removed immediately from the drop-down menu of all Pivot Tables in active workbook.
- How to clear filters from all worksheets in active workbook in Excel?
- How to clear filters when opening, saving or closing workbook in Excel?
- How to filter data based on checkbox in Excel?
- How to fill series of numbers in a filtered list column in Excel?
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!