ow to generate random value from a given list in Excel?
To generate random number is easily done by the function =RANDBETWEEN(range), but have you ever tried to generate random value from a given list as below screenshot shown?
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
Actually, there are some easy formulas that can help you to quickly generate random value from a given list.
Select a blank cell that will place the random value, type this formula =INDEX($A$2:$A$16, RANDBETWEEN(2, 16)), then press Enter key. See screenshot:
In the formula, A2:A16 is the given list you want to use, 2 and 16 are the starting row number and ending row number of the list.
If you want to generate several random values from the list, you can drag the formula down as you need. See screenshot:
You can press F9 key to refresh the values.
Note: If you want to generate random number based on a list, you can use this formula =INDEX($I$2:$I$7, RANDBETWEEN(1, 6)), and press Enter key.
- How to generate random number without duplicates in Excel?
- How to keep/stop random numbers from changing in Excel?
- How to generate random Yes or No in Excel?
- How to generate random value based on assigned probability in Excel?
|Here the Insert Random Data of Kutools for Excel can help you quickly insert random unique integer, date, or random time, text string, custom list as you need.|