How to auto select text of a textbox when it is selected in Excel?
For deleting texts in a textbox (ActiveX Control), firstly, you need to select all texts inside the textbox. This article is talking about automatically selecting all texts of a textbox when clicking the textbox in Excel.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
Please apply the below VBA code to automatically select all texts of a textbox when selecting the textbox in Excel.
1. For a worksheet contains the textbox you will make its texts auto selected, please turn on the Design Mode by clicking Developer > Design Mode. See screenshot:
Or you can also insert a textbox by clicking Developer > Insert > Text Box (ActiveX Control). See screenshot:
2. Right-click the textbox and click View Code from the context menu. See screenshot:
3. In the opening Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, please replace the original VBA code in the Code window with below VBA code.
VBA code: Automatically select texts of a textbox when clicking on it
Private Sub TextBox1_MouseDown(ByVal Button As Integer, ByVal Shift As Integer, _ ByVal X As Single, ByVal Y As Single) Call SelTextBox(Me.TextBox1.Object) End Sub Sub SelTextBox(xTextBox As Object) With xTextBox .SelStart = 0 .SelLength = Len(.Text) End With End Sub
1. In the code, TextBox1 is the name of the textbox you will clear contents from. Please change it to your own.
2. For automatically selecting texts of multiple textboxes when clicking on them, please add below VBA code between the two sections in above code. And change the TextBox2 to the name of your needed textbox.
Private Sub TextBox2_MouseDown(ByVal Button As Integer, ByVal Shift As Integer, ByVal X As Single, ByVal Y As Single) Call SelTextBox(Me.TextBox2.Object) End Sub
4. Press the Alt + Q keys to exit the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
5. Turn off the Design Mode.
From now on, when clicking on the textbox, all texts inside the textbox will be selected automatically.
- How to autocomplete a textbox when typing in Excel?
- How to clear contents of textbox when clicked in Excel?
- How to concatenate texts of multiple cells into a textbox in Excel?
- How to disable editing in textbox to prevent user inputting in Excel?
- How to format a textbox as a percentage in Excel?