How to auto select text of a textbox when it is selected in Excel?
For deleting texts in a textbox (ActiveX Control), firstly, you need to select all texts inside the textbox. This article is talking about automatically selecting all texts of a textbox when clicking the textbox in Excel.
Please apply the below VBA code to automatically select all texts of a textbox when selecting the textbox in Excel.
1. For a worksheet contains the textbox you will make its texts auto selected, please turn on the Design Mode by clicking Developer > Design Mode. See screenshot:
Or you can also insert a textbox by clicking Developer > Insert > Text Box (ActiveX Control). See screenshot:
2. Right-click the textbox and click View Code from the context menu. See screenshot:
3. In the opening Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, please replace the original VBA code in the Code window with below VBA code.
VBA code: Automatically select texts of a textbox when clicking on it
Private Sub TextBox1_MouseDown(ByVal Button As Integer, ByVal Shift As Integer, _ ByVal X As Single, ByVal Y As Single) Call SelTextBox(Me.TextBox1.Object) End Sub Sub SelTextBox(xTextBox As Object) With xTextBox .SelStart = 0 .SelLength = Len(.Text) End With End Sub
1. In the code, TextBox1 is the name of the textbox you will clear contents from. Please change it to your own.
2. For automatically selecting texts of multiple textboxes when clicking on them, please add below VBA code between the two sections in above code. And change the TextBox2 to the name of your needed textbox.
Private Sub TextBox2_MouseDown(ByVal Button As Integer, ByVal Shift As Integer, ByVal X As Single, ByVal Y As Single) Call SelTextBox(Me.TextBox2.Object) End Sub
4. Press the Alt + Q keys to exit the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
5. Turn off the Design Mode.
From now on, when clicking on the textbox, all texts inside the textbox will be selected automatically.
- How to autocomplete a textbox when typing in Excel?
- How to clear contents of textbox when clicked in Excel?
- How to concatenate texts of multiple cells into a textbox in Excel?
- How to disable editing in textbox to prevent user inputting in Excel?
- How to format a textbox as a percentage in Excel?
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!