How to clear contents of textbox when clicked in Excel?
Normally, for clearing old contents of a textbox (ActiveX Control), you have to get into the textbox, select the whole contents and then press the Backspace or Delete key. How to clear all contents quickly in a textbox? This article will show you a VBA method to quickly clear contents of a textbox when just double clicking on it.
Recommended Excel Productivity Tools
The following VBA code can help you quickly clear contents of a textbox when double-clicking on it. Please do as follows.
1. If a textbox has already existed in the worksheet, please turn on the Design Mode by clicking Developer > Design Mode. See screenshot:
Or you can also insert a textbox by clicking Developer > Insert > Text Box (ActiveX Control). See screenshot:
2. Right-click the textbox and click View Code from the context menu. See screenshot:
3. In the opening Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, please replace the original VBA code in the Code window with below VBA code.
VBA code: Clear contents of a textbox when double-clicking on it
Private Sub TextBox1_DblClick(ByVal Cancel As MSForms.ReturnBoolean) If Not iGblInhibitTextBoxEvents Then TextBox1.Value = "" End If End Sub
Note: In the code, TextBox1 is the name of the textbox you will clear contents from. Please change it to your own.
4. Press the Alt + Q keys to exit the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
5. Turn off the Design Mode.
From now on, when double-clicking a textbox, its contents will be cleared immediately.
- How to auto select text of a textbox when it is selected in Excel?
- How to autocomplete a textbox when typing in Excel?
- How to concatenate texts of multiple cells into a textbox in Excel?
- How to disable editing in textbox to prevent user inputting in Excel?
- How to format a textbox as a percentage in Excel?