How to create dynamic cascading list boxes in Excel?
You may know how to create cascading validation drop down list in Excel. However, how to create dynamic cascading list boxes in Excel? This article introduces a VBA method to get it down.
Recommended Productivity Tools for Excel/Office
As below screenshot shown, you need to create a parent list box contains the unique values of the Drink column, and display all the corresponding values in the second list box based on selection in parent list box. The following VBA code helps you to achieve it. Please do as follows.
1. Firstly, you need to extract all unique values from the Drink column. Select a blank cell, enter array formula =IFERROR(INDEX($A$2:$A$11, MATCH(0,COUNTIF($J$1:J1, $A$2:$A$11), 0)),"") into the Formula Bar, and then press the Ctrl + Shift + Enter key. Then drag the Fill Handle to get all unique values. See screenshot:
Note: In the formula, $A$2:$A$11 is the range you will extract unique values from. J1 is the cell above where your formula is located.
Tip: If formula is too hard to remember and handle, the Select Duplicate & Unique Cells utility of Kutools for Excel will be a good choice for you to quickly extract all unique values from a column.
Please select the column contains unique values you will extract from. Then enable the utility by clicking Kutools > Select > Select Duplicate & Unique Cells. In the Select Duplicate & Unique Cells dialog box, select the All unique (Including 1st duplicates) option and click the OK button. Then all unique values are selected in the column. Please copy and paste them to a new place. See screenshot:
Kutools for Excel: with more than 200 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days. Download and free trial Now!
2. Insert two list boxes separately by clicking Developer > Insert > List Box (ActiveX Control). See screenshot:
3. Right click the parent list box and select Properties from the context menu. In the Properties dialog box, change the (Name) field to Drink or other name as you need, enter the cell range contains the extracted unique values into the ListFillRange field and close the dialog.
4. Repeat the step 3 to change the second list box’s (Name) field to Item in the Properties dialog box.
5. Right click the sheet tab and select View Code from the right clicking menu. Then copy below VBA code into the Code window. See screenshot:
VBA code: Create dynamic cascading list boxes in Excel
Dim xPreStr As String Private Sub Drink_Click() 'Update by Extendoffice 2018/06/04 Dim I, xRows As Long Dim xRg As Range Dim xRegStr As String Application.ScreenUpdating = False xRegStr = Me.Drink.Text Set xRg = Range("A2:A11") xRows = xRg.Rows.Count If xRegStr <> xPreStr Then Me.Item.Clear 'Me.OtherListBoxName.Clear Set xRg = xRg(1) For I = 1 To xRows If xRg.Offset(I - 1).Value = xRegStr Then Me.Item.AddItem xRg.Offset(I - 1, 1).Value 'Me.OtherListBoxName.AddItem xRg.Offset(I - 1, 2).Value End If Next xPreStr = xRegStr End If Application.ScreenUpdating = True End Sub
Notes: In the code Drink and Item are the names of two list boxes, change them to your own names.
6. Press the Alt + Q keys to close the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
7. Turn off the Design Mode by clicking Developer > Design Mode.
From now on, when selecting any kind of drink such as Coffee in the parent list box, all coffee items will be displayed in the second one. Select Tea or Wine will only display the tea or wine items in the second list box. See screenshot:
- How to clear dependent drop down list cell after selecting changed in Excel?
- How to create dependent cascading drop down lists in Excel?
- How to auto populate other cells when selecting values in Excel drop down list?
- How to create a drop down list calendar in Excel?
- How to save or retain selections of ActiveX list boxes in Excel?
Recommended Productivity Tools
Bring handy tabs to Excel and other Office software, just like Chrome, Firefox and new Internet Explorer.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
300 New Features for Excel, Make Excel Much Easy and Powerful:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...