How to remove all dashes/slashes/ hyphens from dates in Excel?
When typing dates in Excel, it commonly displays as “8/15/2019” or “8-15-2019”. In some situations, you may need to remove these dashes, slashes, or hyphens from the dates. Are there ways to remove them easily? This article will introduce two solutions.
- Remove all dashes/slashes/ hyphens from dates with TEXT function
- Remove all dashes/slashes/ hyphens from dates with Format Cells feature
You can apply the TEXT function to remove all dashes, slashes, or hyphens from selected dates easily in Excel. Please do as follows:
Note: This formula will return a text formatting date in another cell. If you need to change the date cell directly, please visit Format Cells method.
Select a blank cell you will place the date without dashes, slashes, or hyphens, type in below formula, and then drag the AutoFill handle to apply this formula to the range as you need.
In above formula:
- B3 is the date you will remove dashes, slashes, or hyphens from;
- “mmddyyyy” is the date code that decides the output date style. You can change it as you need, such as “ddmmyyy”, “mm dd yyyy”, etc.
If you need to remove the dashes, slashes, or hyphens from the original date cells directly, and remain the Date format as well, you can apply the Format Cell feature to get it done.
1. Select the date cells you will remove the dashes, slashes, or hyphens from, right click, and select Format Cells from the context menu.
2. In the Format Cells dialog, under the Number tab, click to activate Custom in the Category list box, type the date code mmddyyyy into the Type box, and click the OK button. See screenshot:
Note: mmddyyyy is the date code that decides the date style. You can change it as you need, such as ddmmyyy, mm dd yyyy, etc.
Now you will see all dashes, slashes, or hyphens are removed from selected date cells at once.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!