How to convert zip code to state in Excel?
For example, there is a zip code 29078 in Excel, and you want to covert it to corresponding US state name, any idea? This article will introduce a formula to convert zip codes to US state names in Excel easily.
- Convert zip codes to US state names with formula
- Convert multiple zip codes to state names with an amazing tool
Please follow below steps to convert zip codes to US state names in Excel:
1. First, prepare the zip codes and US state names table in a worksheet.
In my case, I copy the zip codes and US state names from below webpage, and then paste into a new worksheet.
2. Select a blank cell, enter below formula, and press the Enter key.
Note: In above formula,
- $D$3:$D$75 is the Zip Min column in the zip codes and US state names table I copied from the webpage.
- $E$3:$E$75 is the Zip Max column in the zip codes and US state names table.
- H3 is the specified zip code you will convert to state name.
- $B$3:$B$75 is the State Name column in the zip codes and US state names table. If you need to convert zip code to state abbreviations, you can change it to $C$3:$C$75 (the ST column in the table).
Supposing you have added the zip codes table in your workbook, and you want to convert the zip codes in the G3:G11 to corresponding state names as below screenshot shown. Now, you can apply the LOOKUP between two values feature of Kutools for Excel to easily convert the zip codes to corresponding state names in bulk. Please do as follows:
1. Click Kutools > Super LOOKUP > LOOKUP between Two Values to enable the feature.
2. In the LOOKUP between Two Values dialog, please configure as follows:
(1) In the Lookup Values box, please specify zip codes that you will return state names based on;
(2) In the Output Values box, please specify the range you will place the returned state names;
(3) It’s optional to check the Replace #N/A error value with a specified value option and enter a value in below box;
(4) In the Data range box, please specify the zip code table you have added in your workbook;
(5) In The column containing max values box, please specify the Zip Max column in our example;
(6) In The column containing min values box, please specify the Zip Min column in our example;
(7) In the Return Column box, please specify the State Name column in our example.
3. Click the OK button.
Now you will see the specified zip codes are converted to corresponding state names, and are placed in the specified destination range. See screenshot:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!