How to convert zip code to state in Excel?
For example, there is a zip code 29078 in Excel, and you want to covert it to corresponding US state name, any idea? This article will introduce a formula to convert zip codes to US state names in Excel easily.
- Convert zip codes to US state names with formula
- Convert multiple zip codes to state names with an amazing tool
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
Please follow below steps to convert zip codes to US state names in Excel:
1. First, prepare the zip codes and US state names table in a worksheet.
In my case, I copy the zip codes and US state names from below webpage, and then paste into a new worksheet.
2. Select a blank cell, enter below formula, and press the Enter key.
Note: In above formula,
- $D$3:$D$75 is the Zip Min column in the zip codes and US state names table I copied from the webpage.
- $E$3:$E$75 is the Zip Max column in the zip codes and US state names table.
- H3 is the specified zip code you will convert to state name.
- $B$3:$B$75 is the State Name column in the zip codes and US state names table. If you need to convert zip code to state abbreviations, you can change it to $C$3:$C$75 (the ST column in the table).
Supposing you have added the zip codes table in your workbook, and you want to convert the zip codes in the G3:G11 to corresponding state names as below screenshot shown. Now, you can apply the LOOKUP between two values feature of Kutools for Excel to easily convert the zip codes to corresponding state names in bulk. Please do as follows:
1. Click Kutools > Super LOOKUP > LOOKUP between Two Values to enable the feature.
2. In the LOOKUP between Two Values dialog, please configure as follows:
(1) In the Lookup Values box, please specify zip codes that you will return state names based on;
(2) In the Output Values box, please specify the range you will place the returned state names;
(3) It’s optional to check the Replace #N/A error value with a specified value option and enter a value in below box;
(4) In the Data range box, please specify the zip code table you have added in your workbook;
(5) In The column containing max values box, please specify the Zip Max column in our example;
(6) In The column containing min values box, please specify the Zip Min column in our example;
(7) In the Return Column box, please specify the State Name column in our example.
3. Click the OK button.
Now you will see the specified zip codes are converted to corresponding state names, and are placed in the specified destination range. See screenshot: