How to insert current Excel file location in a cell of Excel?
When we need to insert current Excel file location in a cell, most of us will search the path of the file and enter the location into a cell manual which is a troublesome. This article will introduce you three methods to quickly show or insert current Excel workbook's location or file path in a cell in Excel.
- Insert Current Excel file location with Document Location command
- Insert current Excel file location in a cell with a formula
- Insert Current Excel file location in a cell with Kutools for Excel
In Excel, we can display the current Excel file's full path with using Document Location command. However, this command is not in Ribbon. We can add this command into Quick Access Toolbar with following steps:
- Step 1: Click File >> Option in Excel 2010/2013, or Office button >> Excel Option in Excel 2007;
- Step 2: In the Excel Option dialog box, click the Quick Access Toolbar button. See screenshot.
- Step 3: In the drop down list of Choose command from section, select the All Command;
- Step 4: Find out Document Location item and select it;
- Step 5: Click Add button;
- Step 6: Click OK button.
Then the Document Location command is added into Quick Access Toolbar. See screenshot.
It displays the current workbook's saving path in the Document Location box. We can copy the path and paste it in any cell.
If you are familiar with Excel formulas, you can get the current Excel file's location in a cell directly with entering a formula =LEFT(CELL("filename"),FIND("[",CELL("filename"),1)-1). See screenshot:
Kutools for Excel's Copy Full Path tool can easily copy current workbook's full path with only one click. The coped path is stored in clipboard, and you can paste it anywhere.
Step 1: Click the Kutools > Workbook Tools > Copy Full Path. See screenshot.
Step 2: Paste the copied path in any cell.
For more detail information about Copy Full Path, please go to Copy Full Path.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!