How to change text strings to sentence case in Microsoft Excel?
You may need to change text strings to sentence case in Microsoft Excel. Supposing there are hundreds of text strings in uppercase or lowercase, changing them manually one by one is not a good choice. Are there easy tricks to change text strings to sentence case in Microsoft Excel?
- Change text strings to sentence case in Excel with VBA
- Change text strings to sentence case in Excel with Kutools for Excel
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
If you are experienced with Microsoft Excel, using VBA is a good choice to change text strings to sentence case.
Step 1: Hold down the ALT + F11 keys, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
Step 2: Click Insert > Module, and paste the following macro in the Module window.
Sub SentenceCase() 'Updateby20131127 Dim Rng As Range Dim WorkRng As Range On Error Resume Next xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel" Set WorkRng = Application.Selection Set WorkRng = Application.InputBox("Range", xTitleId, WorkRng.Address, Type:=8) For Each Rng In WorkRng xValue = Rng.Value xStart = True For i = 1 To VBA.Len(xValue) ch = Mid(xValue, i, 1) Select Case ch Case "." xStart = True Case "?" xStart = True Case "a" To "z" If xStart Then ch = UCase(ch) xStart = False End If Case "A" To "Z" If xStart Then xStart = False Else ch = LCase(ch) End If End Select Mid(xValue, i, 1) = ch Next Rng.Value = xValue Next End Sub
Step 3: Press the F5 key to run this macro, then a dialog is popped up on the screen for selecting a range, see screenshot:
Step 4: Click Ok, and you can see the result as shown as below:
VBA macro may be not easy for starter users of Microsoft Excel. Please do not worry about it. Kutools for Excel's Change Case tool can change all text strings to sentence case in selections quickly.
Step 1: Select the range in which you will change text strings to sentence case.
Step 2: Click the Kutools > Text Tools > Change Case…. See screenshot:
Step 3: In Change Case dialog box, check the Sentence Case. Option, and click OK or Apply button.
Then you will view all kinds of text strings are changed to sentence case in the selection. See the following figure:
Kutools for Excel's Change Case tool can quickly change text case to UPPER, LOWER, PROPER, Sentence Case, and tOGGLE cASE. Click to know more…
- Change case of text 2007 and 2010
- Change text strings to uppercases
- Change uppercase to lowercase
- Change uppercase to proper or title case