Microsoft Excel provides following three worksheet functions for changing text case:
LOWER case: Converts all uppercase letters in a text string to lowercase.
UPPER case: Converts all lowercase letters in a text string to uppercase.
PROPER case: Capitalizes the first letter in a text string and converts all other letters to lowercase letters (For example, i am jay > I Am Jay).
Supposing you need to change the case of following existing text in a worksheet:
To change all the text case to lower case, please do as follows:
1. In an adjacent blank cell, such as cell C1, type this formula =LOWER(A1). See screenshot:
2. Then press Enter key, and select cell C1, and then drag the fill handle over to the cell that you want to contain this formula. And all the text case has been converted to lower case. See screenshot:
3. As they are formulas, when you copy them to other place, please paste them as values.
Notes: 1. To change all the text case to upper case, please enter this formula = UPPER(A1).
2. To change all the text case to proper case, please enter this formula =PROPER(A1).
To use the Excel functions for changing text case may be a little bit complicated, but with Kutools for Excel’s Change Case utility, there are more functions you can use to change the text case.
Change case of text with Kutools for Excel
You can easily change text case with Change Case tool of Kutools for Excel, with this tool, you can do following options:
Change any text case to upper case;
Change any text case to lower case;
Change any text case to proper case;
Change any text case to tOGGLE cASE;
Change any text case to sentence case;
Sentence case: the first word in every sentence is capitalized, and all other letters will be converted to lower case. Sentences are deemed to start after full stops, exclamation marks, colons, and question marks (. ! : ?) (For example: I AM JAY. > I am jay.).
tOGGLE cASE: all UPPERCASE characters are converted to lowercase and vice-versa (for example: eXCeL > ExcEl).
After installing Kutools for Excel, please apply this utility with following steps:
1. Select the range cells that you want to change the case.
2. Click Kutools > Text Tools > Change Case, see screenshot:
3. In the Change Case dialog box, specify the type of text case you want to be changed from Change type option, at the same time, you can preview the results from the Preview Pane. See screenshot:
4. Then click OK or Apply button. And the text case of the selected cells has been converted to the case type as you need. (click OK button will close the dialog box and apply the operation; but click Apply button will only apply the operation without closing the dialog box)
To know more about this feature, please click Change Case.
Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
More than 300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.