How to remove the default data file in Outlook?
Normally we can remove any data file with selecting and clicking the Remove button in the Account Settings dialog box. However, when you remove the default data file, it will pop up a warning dialog box to remind you it can’t be removed. See screen shot:
In this article, I will show you how to easily remove the default data file from Microsoft Outlook in a short time.
Office Tab: Enable Tabbed Editing and Browsing in Office, Just Like Chrome, Firefox, IE 8/9/10.
Classic Menu: Bring Old Menus and Toolbars Back to Office 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 and 2019.
Step 1: Open the Account Settings dialog box,
- In Outlook 2010 and 2013, please click the File > Info > Account Settings > Account Settings.
- In Outlook 2007, please click the Tools > Account Settings.
Step 2: In the Account Settings dialog box, change the default data file:
(1) Go to the Data Files tab;
(2) Click to select another data file except the default data file;
(3) Click the Set as Default button. See screen shot:
Note: Please do not select the data files of Gmail that sets as IMAP/SMAP email account.
Step 3: In the popping up Mail Delivery Location dialog box, please click the OK button.
Step 4: Remove original default data file with clicking to select the original default data file, and clicking the Remove button.
Step 5: In the popping up dialog box, please click the Yes button.
Step 6: Click the Close button to exit the Account Settings dialog box.
Then the original default data file is removed from your Microsoft Outlook.
Note: You can’t remove the data file of an exchange account even it’s not the default data file, until you remove the exchange account on the E-mail tab in the Account Setting dialog box.
Recommended Productivity Tools
- Complicated and repeated operations can be done a one-time processing in seconds.
- Forward multiple emails individually with one-click, and auto forward by rules.
- Auto CC/BCC every sending email and easy for customizing rules, and auto reply without requiring exchange server.
- Powerful junk emails filter, remove duplicate emails, reply with attachment, bunch of one-click operations, and so on...
- 60-day unlimited free trial. 60-day money back guarantee. 2 years free upgrade and support. Buy once, use forever.