How to sort tasks by categories or subject in Outlook?
In Outlook, you can sort tasks by categories or subject for your own needs. After sorting tasks by categories or subject, you can easily find the certain tasks in the Tasks List based on the specific categories or subject. This article will walk you through how to sort tasks by categories or subject in details.
Office Tab: Enable Tabbed Editing and Browsing in Office, Just Like Chrome, Firefox, IE 8/9/10.
Classic Menu: Bring Old Menus and Toolbars Back to Office 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 and 2019.
For sorting tasks by categories, please do as follows.
1. Please get into the Tasks folder which you want to sort tasks by categories inside.
2. In Outlook 2010 and 2013, go to the View tab, and then click Categories in the Arrangement group. See screenshot:
In Outlook 2007, please click View > Arrange By > Categories.
3. Then you will see all tasks in the selected folder are sorted by categories.
Besides sorting tasks by categories, tasks can also be sorted based on their subjects.
1. Get into the To-Do List Tasks folder or Tasks folder which you want to sort all tasks by subject.
2. In Outlook 2010 and 2013, click View > View Settings.
In Outlook 2007, please click View > Current View > Customize Current View.
3. In the Advanced View Settings dialog box (Customize View dialog box in Outlook 2007), please click the Sort button. See screenshot:
4. When the Sort dialog box popping up, please select Subject from the Sort items by drop-down list, and choose the sort order Ascending or Descending as you need, then click OK button.
5. Then a prompt box will pop up, please click the Yes button.
6. When it returns to previous dialog box, click OK button to finish the whole settings.
Then all tasks in the selected Tasks folder are sorted by subject immediately. See screenshot:
Note: When you apply this feature to sort by subject, please make sure your tasks list is not in the categories status.
Recommended Productivity Tools
- Complicated and repeated operations can be done a one-time processing in seconds.
- Forward multiple emails individually with one-click, and auto forward by rules.
- Auto CC/BCC every sending email and easy for customizing rules, and auto reply without requiring exchange server.
- Powerful junk emails filter, remove duplicate emails, reply with attachment, bunch of one-click operations, and so on...
- 60-day unlimited free trial. 60-day money back guarantee. 2 years free upgrade and support. Buy once, use forever.
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agowhen I use arrange to sort by category in outlook it simultaneously groups by category. Is there a way to sort by category without grouping?
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 4 years agoI have the task subjects sorted by due date, but I want to set a secondary sorting parameter and get everything alphabetized. How do I do that?