How to count the total number of conversations in a folder in Outlook?
Let’s say you discuss technique problems with fellows by emails in Outlook, and there are many replies and forwards about a topic. In general, one conversation covers one technical problem. We can show the emails in Conversation view, but how to count the total number of all conversations in Outlook? Try below workaround:
Office Tab: Enable Tabbed Editing and Browsing in Office, Just Like Chrome, Firefox, IE 8/9/10.
Classic Menu: Bring Old Menus and Toolbars Back to Office 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 and 2019.
This method will walk you through copying emails from Outlook to Excel workbook, and then count the total number of conversations in Excel.
1. In Outlook, shift to the mail folder you will count the total number of conversations, and select all emails in this mail folder.
Note: You can select all emails in a mail folder with selecting one email and then pressing the Ctrl + A keys simultaneously.
2. Right click selected emails, and select the Copy from the right-clicking menu.
3. Create a new workbook, right click the Cell A1 and then select Keep Text Only (T) from the right-clicking menu. See screenshot:
Now all emails in the specified Outlook mail folder are copied into the new workbook.
4. Select the Subject column, press the Ctrl + H keys at the same time to open the Find and Replace dialog box, and then:
(1) In the Find and Replace dialog box, type RE: into the Find what: box, type nothing into the Replace with box, and click the Replace All button.
(2) Type FW: into the Find what: box, type nothing into the Replace with box, and click the Replace All button.
(3) Close the Find and Replace dialog box.
5. Keep selecting the Subject column, and click Data > Remove Duplicates.
6. Now in the Remove Duplicates Warning dialog box check the Expand the selection option and click the Remove Duplicates button; and then in the Remove Duplicates dialog box only check the Subject option and click the OK button. See screenshot:
7. Now a dialog box pops out and shows how many unique values remain. The number of unique values is the total amount of conversations in the specified mail folder.
Recommended Productivity Tools
- Complicated and repeated operations can be done a one-time processing in seconds.
- Forward multiple emails individually with one-click, and auto forward by rules.
- Auto CC/BCC every sending email and easy for customizing rules, and auto reply without requiring exchange server.
- Powerful junk emails filter, remove duplicate emails, reply with attachment, bunch of one-click operations, and so on...
- 60-day unlimited free trial. 60-day money back guarantee. 2 years free upgrade and support. Buy once, use forever.