How to rename attachments before sending (when forwarding or attaching) in Outlook?
After attaching some files in an email, you may need to rename the attachments with brief names before sending the email in Outlook. How could you get it done easily? There are two solutions to help you:
Office Tab: Enable Tabbed Editing and Browsing in Office, Just Like Chrome, Firefox, IE 8/9/10.
Classic Menu: Bring Old Menus and Toolbars Back to Office 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 and 2019.
This method will guide you to save the attachment you will rename as another copy with new name, and then reattach the new copy in the email. Please do as follows:
1. In the email, right click the attachment you will rename, and select Save As from the context menu. See screenshot:
2. In the opening Save Attachment dialog box, please (see screenshot below):
(1) Open the destination folder you will save the new copy of selected attachment to;
(2) Type the new name that you will change selected attachment’s name to in the File name box;
(3) Click the Save button.
3. Now you return to the message window. Please click the attachment you will rename, and press the Delete key to remove it.
4. Click Insert > Attach File > Browse This PC (or Insert > Attach File) to reattach the new copy of the specified attachment.
5. Now the Insert File dialog box comes out. Please do as following screenshot shown:
(1) Open the folder where you saved the new copy of the specified attachment just now;
(2) Click to select the new copy of attachment;
(3) Click the Insert button.
And now the new copy of the specified attachment has been attached with new name.
6. Please compose the email and send it.
If you need to rename multiple attachments in an email before sending it in Outlook, above way will be quite tedious and time-consuming. This method will introduce Kutools for Outlook’s Rename All (Attachments) feature to rename multiple attachments in bulk in an email before sending.
Kutools for Outlook - With more than 20 handy Outlook add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days
1. Press the Ctrl + S keys to save the composing email with attachments you need to rename, and then close the Message window.
Now the email with attachments has been saved into the Draft folder.
2. Select the email in the Draft folder, and then click Kutools > Rename All. See screenshot:
3. In the popping out Attachments Rename dialog box, please rename the attachments in the Name column one by one, and then click the OK button. See screenshot:
So far you have bulk renamed multiple attachments in the draft email.
4. Double click to open the draft email in the Message window, compose it, and send it.Click to download Kutools for Outlook, 60-day free tiral no limitation!
Recommended Productivity Tools
- Complicated and repeated operations can be done a one-time processing in seconds.
- Forward multiple emails individually with one-click, and auto forward by rules.
- Auto CC/BCC every sending email and easy for customizing rules, and auto reply without requiring exchange server.
- Powerful junk emails filter, remove duplicate emails, reply with attachment, bunch of one-click operations, and so on...
- 60-day unlimited free trial. 60-day money back guarantee. 2 years free upgrade and support. Buy once, use forever.