How to report junk and phishing emails in Outlook?
You may notice that there are lots of spam or phishing emails passing through Microsoft’s filters, while some legitimate emails end up in your junk or spam folder. To help Microsoft improve the filters and prevent this from happening in the future, please do not ignore or delete the spam emails. Instead, report the junk and phishing emails to Microsoft with one of the methods listed below.
Note: Before you report junk or phishing emails in Outlook, make sure you understand how to spot a junk or phishing email.
1. On the Home tab, in the Add-ins group, click on the Get Add-ins icon. Alternatively, click on the Store icon in earlier Outlook versions. See screenshots:
Note: If you cannot see either of the icons in your Outlook ribbon, please go to File > Customize Ribbon. If you see Get Add-ins or Store on the left, create a group first by clicking on New Group and then move the Get Add-ins command to the right side.
2. In the pop-up ADD-INS page, search for “report message”, and then click on the Add button on the Report Message add-in.
3. Click on Get Started.
4. You will see a notification which tells you how to access the add-in as shown below. Close the page when finished reading.
5. Select the email that you want to report as junk or phishing. Click on Report Message, and then select Junk or Phishing on the drop-down menu to report the junk or phishing email to Microsoft.
6. A Report Message dialog box will then pop up, click on Report if you want to send a copy of this message to Microsoft to help the research and improvement of email protection technologies. Otherwise, click on Cancel.
- After you report a message as phishing, it only reports the sender but does not block them from sending you messages in the future. To block the sender, you can add them to your blocked sender's list. For more information, please see the tutorial: How To Block Or Unblock Senders In Outlook?
- The experience you click on Get Add-ins on the ribbon could vary. If it opens an AppSource page in your browser, please follow the instructions on the page to get the Report Message add-in.
If you have trouble configuring the add-in in Outlook on the desktop, you can log in to your account in Outlook.com, and do as follows:
1. Select the email that you want to mark as junk or phishing.
2. Click on Junk on the ribbon, and then select Junk or Phishing as you need.
3. If you select Junk, the message will be moved to Junk folder. If you select Phishing, a dialog will pop up as shown below, please click on Report.
To report junk or phishing messages to Microsoft, you can attach the messages and send them directly to Microsoft as well. Please do as follow:
1. Create a new message.
2. Select the emails that you want to report as junk or phishing, and then drag them into the new blank email.
4. Click on Send to report the junk or phishing emails.
- Auto CC/BCC by rules when sending email; Auto Forward Multiple Emails by custom; Auto Reply without exchange server, and more automatic features...
- BCC Warning - show message when you try to reply all if your mail address is in the BCC list; Remind When Missing Attachments, and more remind features...
- Reply (All) With All Attachments in the mail conversation; Reply Many Emails in seconds; Auto Add Greeting when reply; Add Date into subject...
- Attachment Tools: Manage All Attachments in All Mails, Auto Detach, Compress All, Rename All, Save All... Quick Report, Count Selected Mails...
- Powerful Junk Emails by custom; Remove Duplicate Mails and Contacts... Enable you to do smarter, faster and better in Outlook.