How to insert page x of y formatting page number in Word document?
In a large Word document, you may need to insert the page number to identify the page orders. In this article, I will introduce some methods for inserting a specific page number formatting-page x of y in a Word document.
The Page Number feature can help you to insert the page x of y page number formatting quickly and easily. But this feature will clear the existed header or footer content as well.
1. Click Insert > Page Number > Top of Page / Bottom of Page, and then select one position (left, center, right) of the page number you want to insert in the Page X of Y section, see screenshot:
2. And then, the page number formatting-page x of y has been inserted into the whole Word document immediately as following screenshot shown:
If there is other information content in the header or footer, when applying the above method, the original content will be removed at once. In this case, the Field feature can help you to insert the page number in page x of y format without losing the content of the header or footer. Please do with the below steps:
1. Double click the header or footer to enter the edit mode, then place the cursor where you want to insert page x of y page number, and then type “Page” and a space, see screenshot:
2. Then click Insert > Quick Parts > Field, see screenshot:
3. In the Field dialog box, select Page from the Field names list box, and click OK button, see screenshot:
4. And the current page number is inserted at the cursor, after the page number, please go on typing space + of + space as following screenshot shown:
5. Then click Insert > Quick Parts > Field again to go the Field dialog box, this time, please select NumPages from the Field names list box, and then click OK button, see screenshot:
6. Now, the page number and total number of pages are inserted at the cursor in your header or footer. See screenshot:
Recommended Word Productivity Tools
- Complicated and repeated operations can be done one-time processing in seconds.
- Insert multiple images across folders into Word document at once.
- Merge and combine multiple Word files across folders into one with your desired order.
- Split the current document into separate documents according to heading, section break or other criteria.
- Convert files between Doc and Docx, Docx and PDF, collection of tools for common conversions and selection, and so on...