How to remove timestamps from existing comments in Word document?
Normally, when inserting comment in Word document, a timestamp will be created automatically at the same time as below screenshot shown. Sometimes, you don’t want to display the timestamp of the comment, how can you remove it? This article will show you a method to deal with it.
Please do as follows to remove timestamps from existing comments in a Word document.
1. Open the folder contains the Word document which you will remove the timestamp from the existing comments.
2. Make sure the File name extensions box is checked, then, right click the file and select Rename option, change extension of the Word document from “.docx” to “.zip”, then press the Enter key. See screenshot:
3. In the opening Rename prompt box, click the Yes button.
4. Now the Word document is turned to a zip file as below screenshot shown, please unzip this file. In this case, I right click the zip file and select WinZip > Unzip to unzip the file.
5. Then the file has been unzipped in current folder. You need to find and open a folder which named “word”, and open the comment.xml file and the document.xml file separately with the Notepad application. Please right click it, and then choose Open with > Notepad. See screenshot:
6. In the opening comments.xml – Notepad window, you need to:
- 6.1) Press the Ctrl + F keys to open the Find dialog box;
- 6.2) Enter "Your Name" w:date=" into the Find what box (here I enter “siluvia” w:date=”) and click the Find Next button.
- 6.3）Then the searched result will be highlighted in the window, please replace the "Your Name" w:date=" with "Your Name" w:ignore=".
- 6.4）Repeat the above two steps until all occurrences of "Your Name" w:date=" are changed to "Your Name" w:ignore=".
- 6.5) Save and close the file. See screenshot:
7. Repeat the step 6 to change all occurrences of "Your Name" w:date=" to "Your Name" w:ignore=" in the document.xml – notepad window.
8. Rezip all files and folders you have unzipped out in step 4. Now a new zip file is created as below screenshot shown.
9. Convert the zip file to a Word document by changing the extension of the zip file to .docx. See screenshot.
Note: you can change the document name to the original one as you need.
Open the Word document, you can see all timestamps of existing comments are removed.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Word - Elevate Your Word Experience with Over 100 Remarkable Features!
Dive into the highlighted features below or click here to explore the full power of Kutools for Word.
➕ Creative Inserts: Insert Thousand Separators / Check Boxes / Radio Buttons / QR Code / Barcode / Diagonal Line Table / Equation Caption / Image Caption / Table Caption / Multiple Pictures / Discover more in our Insert Group
Transform your Word tasks with Kutools. 👉 Download with 30-day trial Now 🚀.