Excel IMSUM function
The IMSUM function calculates the sum of two or more complex numbers in the form x + yi or x + yj.
Note: A complex number is composed of a real coefficient and an imaginary coefficient. You can apply the COMPLEX function to convert real and imaginary coefficients to a complex number of the form x + yi or x + yj.
IMSUM(inumber1, [inumber2], ...)
- inumber1 (required): The first complex number used in the calculation.
- inumber2 (optional): The second and more complex numbers used in the calculation.
1. There can be up to 255 arguments at a time.
2. The argument can be supplied as any of the following:
-- A real number whose imaginary part is 0, e.g., 1 is a complex number 1+0i; Or a purely imaginary number whose real part is 0, e.g., i is a complex number 0 + 1i;
-- A cell reference that refers to a complex number;
-- A complex number enclosed in double quotation marks.
3. The #VALUE! error occurs if any of the supplied arguments is a logical value.
4. The #NUM! error occurs if any of the supplied arguments cannot be recognized as a complex number.
5. The equation for the IMSUM function is as follows:
It returns a complex number as text.
In the following table, there are two lists of complex numbers. To get the sum of two complex numbers in each row, you can apply the IMSUM function as follows to get it done.
Select a cell, such as D6 in this case, enter the formula below and press the Enter key to get the sum of two complex numbers in the first row. Select this result cell and then drag its AutoFill Handle down to get other results.
1) The complex numbers can be directly entered into the formula and need to be enclosed in double quotation marks. So, the formula in D6 can be changed to:
2) The IMSUM function accepts only lowercase “i” and “j”.
Excel COMPLEX function
The COMPLEX function converts real and imaginary coefficients to a complex number of the form x + yi or x + yj.
Excel IMABS function
The IMABS function gets the absolute value of a complex number in the form x + yi or x + yj.
Excel imaginary function
The IMAGINARY function gets the imaginary coefficient of a complex number in the form x + yi or x + yj.
Excel impower function
The IMPOWER function returns a complex number raised to a given power.
Excel improduct Function
The IMPRODUCT function returns the product of 1 to 255 complex numbers in x + yi or x + yj text format.
Excel BITAND function
The IMREAL function returns the real coefficient of a complex number in the form x + yi or x + yj.
Excel IMSUB function
The IMSUB function returns the difference of two complex numbers in x + yi or x + yj text format.
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Would you like to complete your daily work quickly and perfectly? Kutools for Excel brings
300 powerful advanced features (Combine workbooks, sum by color, split cell contents, convert date, and so on...) and save
time for you.
- Designed for
work scenarios, helps you solve
- Reduce thousands of keyboard and mouse clicks every day, relieve your tired eyes and hands.
- Become an Excel expert in 3 minutes. No longer need to remember any painful formulas and VBA codes.
-day unlimited free trial. 60-day money back guarantee. Free upgrade and support for 2 years.
- One second to switch between dozens of open documents!
- Reduce hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day, say goodbye to mouse hand.
- Increases your productivity by
when viewing and editing multiple documents.
- Brings Efficient Tabs to Office (include Excel), Just Like Chrome, Firefox, And New Internet Explorer.