How to remove extra spaces between words in cells in Excel?
When you import data in Excel from an external data source, it often comes with some extra spaces. If you don’t want the unnecessary spaces, how do you remove them? In this article, I will introduce you some ways to remove extra spaces between words in cells.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2021 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
In Excel, you can remove extra spaces between words with TRIM. Please do as follows:
Step 1. Type formula =TRIM(A1) in cell B1 which is adjacent to cell A1, see screenshot:
Step 2. Press Enter key and select B1, then drag the fill handle over the range of cells that you want to apply this formula. And all extra spaces between characters have been removed from the range. See screenshot:
Tip-: 1. As they are formulas, so when you copy and paste them to other places, you need to paste them as values.
With VBA, you also can remove extra spaces between words.
1. Hold ALT button and press F11 on the keyboard to open a Microsoft Visual Basic for Application window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and copy the VBA into the module.
VBA: Remove extra spaces between words:
Sub TrimExcessSpaces() 'Update 20130815 Dim Rng As Range Dim WorkRng As Range On Error Resume Next xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel" Set WorkRng = Application.Selection Set WorkRng = Application.InputBox("Range", xTitleId, WorkRng.Address, Type:=8) For Each Rng In WorkRng Rng.Value = Application.WorksheetFunction.Trim(Rng.Value) Next End Sub
3. Click Run button or press F5 key to run the VBA. And a prompt box will pop out to remind you select the range that you want to remove the excess spaces, see screenshot:
4. Then click OK, the extra spaces have been removed from the cells. See screenshot:
Have Kutools for Excel installed, with Remove Spaces function, you can remove extra spaces between words quickly and easily.
Please apply Remove Spaces function by clicking Kutools > Text Tools > Remove Spaces. See screenshot:
Step 1. Select a range you want to remove extra spaces in cells.
Step 2. Click Kutools > Text Tools > Remove Spaces and a dialog will be displayed. See screenshot:
Step 3. Check All excess spaces in the Spaces Type option.
Step 4. Click Ok or Apply to remove all extra spaces in cells.
Kutools for Excel's Remove Spaces function also can only remove leading spaces, trailing spaces, leading and trailing spaces or all spaces. Click here to know more about Remove Spaces.
- Remove trailing spaces from cells
- Remove leading spaces in cells
- Remove spaces between character and numbers within cells
- Remove leading and trailing spaces
- Remove indents within cells