How to make a cumulative sum chart in Excel?
If there is a list of data about monthly sale volumes in a year, and now you want to make a cumulative sum chart about it for others to view the cumulative sum of the sale volumes in every month clearly as following screenshot shown, how could you do? Here, I will introduce some ways to make a cumulative sum chart in Excel.
1. Select a blank cell adjacent to the Target column, in this case, select Cell C2, and type this formula =SUM(B$2:B2), and then drag the fill handle down to the cells you want to apply this formula. See screenshot:
2. Then, select the Target and Total column ranges, and then click Insert > Column > Clustered Column, see screenshot:
3. In the inserted chart, click one total column and right click to select Change Series Chart Type… from the context menu. See screenshot:
4. In the Change Chart Type dialog, click Combo from the left pane, and then select Clustered Column-Line chart type in the right pane, see screenshot:
Note: If you are using Excel 2010 and earlier version, please select Line in the left pane, and then choose one line chart type from the right pane, see screenshot:
5. Click OK, and then right click the line in the chart, and select Add Data Labels > Add Data Labels from the context menu. See screenshot:
6. Then you can see the cumulative sum chart has been finished:
If you have Kutools for Excel, with its Add Cumulative Sum to Chart feature, you can insert the cumulative total sum for the chart with only several clicks.
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as this:
1. First, please insert the chart based on your data, see screenshot:
2. Then, click to select the chart, and then click Kutools > Charts > Chart Tools > Add Cumulative Sum to Chart, see screenshot:
3. And then, click Yes in the popped out prompt box, and click OK in the following box, see screenshots:
4.Now, the cumulative sum value have been added to the chart, see screenshot:
More relative chart articles:
- Create A Bar Chart Overlaying Another Bar Chart In Excel
- When we create a clustered bar or column chart with two data series, the two data series bars will be shown side by side. But, sometimes, we need to use the overlay or overlapped bar chart to compare the two data series more clearly. In this article, I will talk about how to create an overlapped bar chart in Excel.
- Color Chart Based On Cell Color In Excel
- Normally, when you create a chart, the color of the column bar is the default. If you need to format filled color on each bar based on the cell colors as following screenshot shown, how could you solve it in Excel?
- Highlight Max And Min Data Points In A Chart
- If you have a column chart which you want to highlight the highest or smallest data points with different colors to outstand them as following screenshot shown. How could you identify the highest and smallest values and then highlight the data points in the chart quickly?
- Create A Step Chart In Excel
- A step chart is used to show the changes happened at irregular intervals, it is an extended version of a line chart. But, there is no direct way to create it in Excel. This article, I will talk about how to create a step chart step by step in Excel worksheet.
- Create Progress Bar Chart In Excel
- In Excel, progress bar chart can help you to monitor progress towards a target as following screenshot shown. But, how could you create a progress bar chart in Excel worksheet?
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 4 years agoMS Excel calculation of horizontal cumulative sum problem.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 4 years agoI need horizontal cumulative sum of a series of values of 12 months in a row and in side by side cell. how? is it possible? I could send you a work sheet but can't. there is no option in this page and i have no email address of you. pls solve my problem and provide me your e-mail as i can send you the excel work sheet.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 4 years agoHow do you aggregate data in excel 2016
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 5 years agoGreat, Very helpful and easy to understad
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 5 years agothank you very much! It saved my day.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 5 years agovery helpful and straighforward.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 5 years agoi want to calculate a running sum.i dont know how to do it in excel.plzzz help me out!!!!!
then when i enter some other values in no column then it should be added to the current value of sum i.e
3 9 (as previous 6 + 3 =9 )
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 6 years agosorry, I used b$2,b2 instead of b$2:b2
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 6 years agoI tried your example but it's working a bit strange. The first cell (c2) would add B2 to B2 (resulting in 6262 instead of 3131). All the other cells work right. Can you suggest what I can try to fix it? Thanks!