How to make a cumulative sum chart in Excel?
If there is a list of data about monthly sale volumes in a year, and now you want to make a cumulative sum chart about it for others to view the cumulative sum of the sale volumes in every month clearly as following screenshot shown, how could you do? Here, I will introduce the way to make a cumulative sum chart in Excel.
1. Select a blank cell adjacent to the Sale column, in this case, select Cell C2, and type this formula =SUM(B$2:B2), and then drag the fill handle down to the cells you want to apply this formula. See screenshot:
2. Then, select the data range and click Insert > Column > Clustered Column, see screenshot:
3. In the inserted chart, click one total column and right click to select Change Series Chart Type… from the context menu. See screenshot:
4. In the Change Chart Type dialog, click Combo from the left pane, and then select Clustered Column-Line chart type in the right pane, see screenshot:
Note: If you are using Excel 2010 and earlier version, please select Line in the left pane, and then choose one line chart type from the right pane, see screenshot:
5. Click OK, and then right click the line in the chart, and select Add Data Labels from the context menu. See screenshot:
6. Then you can see the cumulative sum chart has been finished:
If you want to save this chart and reuse it next time anywhere of a workbook, you can apply the Auto Text tool of Kutools for Excel, it can help you save the chart quickly and reuse it as soon as possible.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:
1. Select the created chart, and then click Kutools > Navigation > Auto Text, see screenshot:
2. Then click button, in the New Auto Text box, please enter the name and choose the group to your need, and then click Add button. See screenshot:
3. And the chart has been inserted into the Auto Text pane, when you want to insert it to anywhere, please click Insert to insert the chart, see screenshot:
4. Then you should apply the new data into the chart as you need, please selec the chart, and then click Design > Select Data, see screenshot:
5. In the Select Data Source dialog box, please click button to select the new data you want to applied to the chart, see screenshot:
6. Then click OK button, the new data will be applied to the cumulative sum chart, see screesnhot:
You are guest
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoMS Excel calculation of horizontal cumulative sum problem.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoI need horizontal cumulative sum of a series of values of 12 months in a row and in side by side cell. how? is it possible? I could send you a work sheet but can't. there is no option in this page and i have no email address of you. pls solve my problem and provide me your e-mail as i can send you the excel work sheet.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 4 years agoHow do you aggregate data in excel 2016
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 4 years agoGreat, Very helpful and easy to understad
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 4 years agothank you very much! It saved my day.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 4 years agovery helpful and straighforward.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 5 years agoi want to calculate a running sum.i dont know how to do it in excel.plzzz help me out!!!!!
then when i enter some other values in no column then it should be added to the current value of sum i.e
3 9 (as previous 6 + 3 =9 )
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 5 years agosorry, I used b$2,b2 instead of b$2:b2
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 5 years agoI tried your example but it's working a bit strange. The first cell (c2) would add B2 to B2 (resulting in 6262 instead of 3131). All the other cells work right. Can you suggest what I can try to fix it? Thanks!