If you have a range of values which populated with some zeroes, and now you want to convert theses zeroes to dashes in your data range. How could you change all the zeroes to dashes at once in Excel?
Convert zeroes to dashes with Format Cells function
In Excel, the Format Cells function can help you to complete this task.
1. Select the data range that you want to change the zeroes to dashes, right click, and choose Format Cells from the context menu, see screenshot:
2. In the Format Cells dialog box, under Number tab, click Custom from the Category list, and enter 0;-0;—;@ into the Type text box. See screenshot:
3. And then click OK, all zeroes have been replaced by dashes in the original range. See screenshot:
Easily select all zeros with an amazing tool, and then convert them to dashes in bulk
With cool Select Specific Cells feature of Kutools for Excel, you can easily select all cell equal to a given number in Excel, such as all cells equal to 0. After selecting these zero cells, you can convert them in bulk to dashes with Ctrl + Enter keys.
Full Feature Free Trial
Kutools for Excel - Includes more than
300 handy tools for Excel. Full feature free trial
30-day, no credit card required! Get It Now
Convert zeros to dashes with Replace feature
You can also apply the Replace feature to solidly convert all zeros to dashes in bulk.
1. Click Home > Find & Select > Replace to enable the Find and Replace dialog.
(1) To convert zeros to dashes in a certain selection, please select the range firstly, and then enable the Find and Replace dialog;
(2) You can also press Ctrl + H keys together to open the Find and Replace dialog.
2. In the Find and Replace dialog, please do as follows:
(1) Type 0 in the Find what box;
(2) Type dashes – in the Replace with box;
(3) Click Options >> button to expand more replace options, and check the Match entire cell contents option;
3. Click the Replace All button.
4. And then a dialog box comes out and shows you how many replacements it has taken. Click the OK button to close it.
And then you will see all zeros in the whole worksheet (or the specified range if you have selected) have been converted to dashes.
Convert zeroes to dashes with Kutools for Excel
If you have installed Kutools for Excel, its Select Specific Cells feature can help you to select all zeroes cells first, and then convert all zeroes to dashes immediately.
Kutools for Excel- Includes more than 300 handy tools for Excel. Full feature free trial 60-day, no credit card required! Get It Now
1. Select the range that you want to convert zeroes to dashes, and click Kutools > Select > Select Specific Cells, see screenshot:
2. In the Select Specific Cells dialog box, click Cell option, choose Equals from the Specific type drop down list, enter 0 into the text box, and click the Ok button. See screenshot:
3. Now all zeros are selected. Then enter the – dash symbol in the formula bar, and press Ctrl + Enter keys together. Then all zeroes have been converted to dashes, see screenshot:
Click to know more about this Select Specific Cells feature.
Demo: Convert zeroes to dashes in Excel
Kutools for Excel includes more than
300 handy tools for Excel, free to try without limitation in
30 days. Free Trial Now! Buy Now!
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than
300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by
50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!