How to create a Macro-enabled template in Excel?
Supposing you add a VBA macro for a workbook, now you want to save it as a template. With normally method to save as template, it will pop up a warning dialog box, see screen shot below. Actually, we can easily save this workbook as a Macro-enabled template.
Save current workbook as a macro-enabled template
To save a workbook with VBA macro as template, you can do as following:
1. Click the File > Save > Computer > Browse.
2. In the coming Save As dialog box, enter a name for this workbook in the File name box, and click the Save as type box and select Excel Macro-Enabled Template (*.xltm) from drop down list.
Note: When you specify workbook type as Excel Macro-Enabled Template (*.xltm), it will open the default save location of templates automatically.
3. Click the Save button.
Up to present, you have saved the workbook with VBA macros as a macro-enabled template already.
Change the default save format as macro-enable template
Actually, we can change the default save format and save all workbooks as macro-enable templates automatically. Please do as follows:
1. Click File > Options.
2. In the opening Excel Options dialog box, please click Save in the left bar, choose Excel Macro-Enable Template (*.xltm) from the Save files in this format drop down list in the Save workbooks section. See screenshot:
3. Click the OK button.
From now all, any workbook will be saved as macro-enabled template automatically when you clicking File > Save.
Save range as mini template (AutoText entry, remaining cell formats and formulas) for reusing in future
Normally Microsoft Excel saves the whole workbook as a personal template. But, sometimes you may just need to reuse a certain selection frequently. Comparing to save the entire workbook as template, Kutools for Excel provides a cute workaround of AutoText utility to save the selected range as an AutoText entry, which can remain the cell formats and formulas in the range. And then you will reuse this range with just one click.
Full Feature Free Trial
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than
300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by
50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!