do i have to purchase the program ?
How to create grid paper/square template in Excel?
Normally the cells show as Rectangles in Excel. However, in some cases users want the cells show as squares and make a grid paper of worksheet. In this article I will show you how to make a worksheet as grid paper, and save it as a template in Excel.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
This method will guild you to create a shape of square, and then adjust the column width and row height to the square’s size in Excel, therefore the whole worksheet show as a grid paper style.
1. Click the Insert > Shapes > Rectangle. See screen shot below:
2. Draw a rectangle in worksheet, and then specify the rectangle’s height and width to the same size in the Size group on the Format tab. See screen shot below:
Then the rectangle change to a square at once.
3. Move the square to the top-left corner of current worksheet, right click it and select the Size and Properties from the right-clicking menu.
4. Configure the square’s properties as following:
A. In Excel 2013’s Format Shape pane, click the Size & Properties tab > Properties, and check the option of Don’t move or size with cells.
B. In Excel 2010’s Format Shape dialog box, click the Properties in the left bar and check the option of Don’t move or size with cells, then close this dialog box.
C. In Excel 2007’s Size and Properties dialog box, click the Properties tab at the top, and then check the option of Don’t move or size with cells, then close this dialog box.
Excel 2013 and higher version:
5. Select the whole worksheet with one of following methods:
A. Select any cell, and press the Ctrl + A keys in a meanwhile;
B. Click the arrow at the top-left corner of current worksheet.
6. Move mouse over right border of Column A’s header, when the mouse changes to a cross, adjust Column A’s width same to the square. And then adjust Row 1’ height same to the square with the same way. See screen shot below:
8. In the coming Save As dialog box, enter a name for this grid paper workbook in the File name box, and click the Save as type box and select Excel Template (*.xltx) from drop down list, at last click the Save button.
With the first method, there may be a litter difficult to adjust the column width and row height exactly same to the square manually. Here I introduce the Adjust Cell Size feature of Kutools for Excel, which enables you to make a grid paper quite easy in Excel.
1. Select the whole worksheet with clicking the arrow at the top-left corner of current worksheet.
3. In the Adjust Cell Size dialog box, specify Inches in the Unit type section, and then specify row height and column width in the set values section successively, and click the OK button.
Now you can follow the same way we introduced in the first method to save the grid square/paper as a template.