How to create drop down list from another workbook in Excel?
It is quite easy to create a data validation drop down list among worksheets within a workbook. But if the source data you need for the drop-down list locates in another workbook, how would you do? In this tutorial, you will learn how to create a drop fown list from another workbook in Excel in details.
For creating drop dpwn list from another workbook, please do as follows.
1. Firstly, rename the workbook that contains the source data as “SourceData” or others you like. After renaming the workbook, open it.
2. Select the source data range (A2:A10 in this case), and then click Formulars > Define Name. See screenshot:
3. In the popping up New Name dialog box, type SourceList in the Name box, and click the OK button.
4. Press Ctrl + S to save the workbook.
5. Open the workbook where you want to create the drop down list, and click Formula > Define Name.
6. In the New Name dialog box, you need to:
7. Select the cells for inserting the drop down list, and click Data > Data Validation.
8. In this Data Validation dialog box, go to the Settings tab, select List in the Allow drop-down list, enter =New in the Source box, and finally click the OK button. See screenshot:
Note: The =New you entered into the Source box is the range name you specified in above step 6.
9. Then a Microsoft Excel prompt box pops up, just click the Yes button.
Now the drop dow list is created with the data in other workbook. See screenshot:
Note: This method is somewhat frustrated, when using the drop-down list, you need to make sure the source data workbook is opened, otherwise, the drop down list won't display.
- How to auto populate other cells when selecting values in Excel drop down list?
- How to autocomplete when typing in Excel drop down list?
- How to create a searchable drop down list in Excel?
- How to create a drop down list calendar in Excel?
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Spreadsheets： Experience Efficiency Like Never Before with Kutools for Excel
Kutools for Excel boasts over 300 features, ensuring that what you need is just a click away...
Supports Office/Excel 2007-2021 & newer, including 365 | Available in 44 languages | Enjoy a full-featured 30-day free trial.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!