How to count the number of spaces of text string in Excel?
Have you ever tried to count the number of spaces of text string in a cell? Of course, you can count them one by one manually, but, if there are multiple cells needed to be counted, this way will be tedious and time consuming. Today, I can talk about some formulas for dealing with this problem in Excel.
Count the number of all spaces of text string with formula
To get the number of all spaces among the text string, the following formula can help you, please do as this:
1. Enter this formula: =LEN(A2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A2," ",""))(A2 contains the text string that you want to count the spaces) into a blank cell, see screenshot:
And then drag the fill handle over to the cells which you want to apply this formula, and all the spaces of a cell have been counted as follows:
Count the number of all spaces of text string with Kutools for Excel
If you have Kutools for Excel, its COUNTCHAR function of Kutools Functions may help you quickly count the number of times a specific character (such as a specific letter, comma, space and so on) appears within a cell.
Kutools for Excel: with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:
1. Click a cell where you want to put the result, B2, for example.
2. Then click Kutools > Kutools Functions > Statistical & Math > COUNTCHAR, see screenshot:
3. In the Function Arguments dialog box, click button from the Within_text to select the cell that you want to get the number of the spaces, and then type the space bar once in the Find_text box, see screenshot:
4. Then click OK button, you will get the number of spaces in the text string, and then drag the fill handle down to the cells which you want to apply this formula, all the spaces among the text strings have been counted at once. See screenshot:
Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
More than 300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.