How to count the number of spaces of text string in Excel?
Have you ever tried to count the number of spaces of text string in a cell? Of course, you can count them one by one manually, but, if there are multiple cells needed to be counted, this way will be tedious and time consuming. Today, I can talk about some formulas for dealing with this problem in Excel.
To get the number of all spaces among the text string, the following formula can help you, please do as this:
1. Enter this formula: =LEN(A2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A2," ",""))(A2 contains the text string that you want to count the spaces) into a blank cell, see screenshot:
And then drag the fill handle over to the cells which you want to apply this formula, and all the spaces of a cell have been counted as follows:
If you have Kutools for Excel, its COUNTCHAR function of Kutools Functions may help you quickly count the number of times a specific character (such as a specific letter, comma, space and so on) appears within a cell.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:
1. Click a cell where you want to put the result, B2, for example.
2. Then click Kutools > Kutools Functions > Statistical & Math > COUNTCHAR, see screenshot:
3. In the Function Arguments dialog box, click button from the Within_text to select the cell that you want to get the number of the spaces, and then type the space bar once in the Find_text box, see screenshot:
4. Then click OK button, you will get the number of spaces in the text string, and then drag the fill handle down to the cells which you want to apply this formula, all the spaces among the text strings have been counted at once. See screenshot:
The above formula can help you to count all spaces among the text string, but, if you just need to count the leading spaces of text string, I can introduce you another formula.
1. Please type this formula: =FIND(LEFT(TRIM(A2),1),A2)-1 (A2 contains the text string that you want to count the spaces) into a blank cell, see screenshot:
2. Then drag the fill handle over to the range that you want to contain this formula, and then all the leading spaces before the text string have been counted, see screenshot:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!