How to count ignoring zeros or blank cells in Excel?
Supposing you have a range of data, which includes several zero values and blank cells as below screenshot shown, and your job is to count cells ignoring both the zero values and blank cells, how can you quickly count them correctly?
Count ignoring zeros and blank cells with formula
Here is an arrow formula can help you to count cells ignoring zeros and blank cells.
Select a blank cell that you want to put the counting result, and type this formula =COUNT(IF(A1:E5<>0, A1:E5)) into it, press Shift + Ctrl + Enter key to get the result.
Tip: In the formula, A1:E5 is the cell range you want to count ignoring both blank cells and zero values.
Count ignoring zeros and blank cells with Kutools for Excel
If you want to count cells excluding zeros values and blank cells and then select them, you can apply Kutools for Excel’s Select Specific Cells to quickly handle it.
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
1. Select the cells you want to count, and click Kutools > Select > Select Specific Cells. See screenshot:
2. In the Select Specific Cells dialog, check Cell under Selection type section, and select Does not equal criterion from the first drop down list under Specific type section, then type 0 into the next text box. See screenshot:
3. Click Ok or Apply, now a dialog pops out to remind you how many cells are selected, and at the meanwhile, all the cells excluding zero values and empty cells have been selected.
Click here to know more about Select Specific Cells.
Count ignoring blank cells only with Status bar
If you want count cells only ignores blank cells, you can select the cells and then view the counting result in the Status bar.
Select the cells you only want to count cells excluding blank cells, and then go to the bottom-right corner of Status bar to view the counting result. See screenshot:
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than
300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by
50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!