How to create a drop down list from another drop down list in Excel?
In this tutorial, I introduce the way to create a drop down list from another drop down list as below screenshot shown in Excel.
Easily create a dynamic 2-level or multiple-level dependent drop-down list in Excel
|In Excel, to create a 2-level or multiple level drop-down list is complex. Here the Dynamic Drop-down List utility of Kutools for Excel can do you a favor. What you only to do is order the data as example shown, then select the data range and output range, then leave it to the utility. Click for 30 days free trial!|
|Kutools for Excel: with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.|
For example, here are some country names, and every country has its own scenic spots, and now I want to create the first drop down list about country name, and then create the second drop down list about the scenic spots, which means that, I only can choose the scenic from of the second drop down list based on the selected country in first drop down list.
1. Select the country names, go to the Name box, give a name for the range, press Enter key. See screenshot:
2. Define scenic cells of each country as named range and name with a country name. See screenshot:
3. Then select a cell you want to create the first drop down list, and click Data > Data Validation > Data Validation. See screenshot:
4. In the Data Validation dialog, under the Settings tab, choose List from the Allow section, and type =Country into the Source textbox, Country is the range name you give to the counties in step 1. See screenshot:
5, click OK. The first drop down list has been created.
Now to create the second drop down list.
6. Select a cell you want to create the second drop down list, click Data > Data Validation > Data Validation.
7. In the Data Validation dialog, under the Settings tab, choose List from the Allow list, and type
into the Source textbox, $A$5 is the cell you create the first drop down list in. See screenshot:
8. click OK. Now the second drop down list has been created. See screenshots:
If you want to create a drop down list from another one much more quickly and easily, the Dynamic Drop-down List of Kutools for Excel will be a good helper for you.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs more easier.|
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
1. Firstly, place the original data as below screenshot shown
2. Select the data, click Kutools > Drop-down List > Dynamic Drop-down List.
3. In the popping dialog, check Mode A: 2 levels dependent Drop-down list option, and then check Horizontal placement list checkbox, and select the output range (the number of output columns must be equal to the number of columns of original data. Click Ok.
Now the dependent drop-down list has been created.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!