How to group time by hour in an Excel pivot table?
For example, I have a table as below screenshot shown. Now I need to create a pivot table and group the time data by the hour in the pivot table, any idea? This article will show you the solution in detail!
Group time by hour in an Excel pivot table
Supposing you have a table as below screenshot shown, and you can follow below steps to create a pivot table in Excel, and group time data by hour easily.
1. Select the source data, and click Insert > PivotTable.
2. In the Create PivotTable dialog box, please select a destination range to place the pivot table, and click the OK button. See screenshot:
3. In the PivotTable Fields pane, please drag and drop the Time field to the Rows section, and then drag and drop the Amount field to the Values section. See screenshot:
4. Now the pivot table is added. Right-click any time in the Row Labels column, and select Group in the context menu. See screenshot:
5. In the Grouping dialog box, please click to highlight Hours only in the By list box, and click the OK button. See screenshot:
Now the time data is grouped by hours in the newly created pivot table. See screenshot:
Note: If you need to group time data by days and hours simultaneously, please click to highlight Days and Hours in the By list box of the Grouping dialog box, and then click the OK button. See screenshot:
Group time by half an hour in an Excel pivot table
If you need to group time by half an hour in a pivot table in Excel, you can try the amazing PivotTable Special Time Grouping tool, provided by Kutools for Excel, to achieve it easily.
Kutools for Excel - Includes more than
300 handy tools for Excel. Full feature free trial
30-day, no credit card required! Free Trial Now!
1. Select the data source that you will create a pivot table based on, and click Kutools Plus > Pivot Table > PivotTable Special Time Grouping.
2. In the PivotTable Special Time Grouping dialog, you need to:
(1) Tick the Half an hour option in the Group by list box;
(2) Specify the time column that you will grouping data by;
(3) Specify the location you will place the new pivot table.
3. Click the Ok button.
4. Then a pivot table is created with a Half an hour column added as rows. Go ahead to add the Amount column as values.
So far, the pivot table has been created based on the selection, and data has been grouped by half an hour as above screenshot shown.
Easily groups cells and calculate by values in another column in Excel
With Kutools for Excel’s Advanced Combine Rows feature, you can quick group all cells of one column based on values in another column, or calculate (sum, count, average, max, etc.) these cells by the values in another column at ease!
Full Feature Free Trial
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than
300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by
50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!