How to add tick and cross symbols into drop down list in Excel?
Normally, after inserting tick and cross symbols in cells with symbol function and then create drop down lists with them as data source, the results will be displayed as ü or û in drop down cells. How to display the actual ✓ and symbols in cells after selecting items from the drop down list? The below VBA method will help to create a tick and cross drop down list in Excel.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
With the below VBA code, you can insert tick and cross drop-down lists into specified cells in Excel. Please do as follows.
1. In the worksheet you will create tick and cross symbols drop down lists, right click the sheet tab and select View Code from the context menu.
2. Then the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window opens, please copy below VBA code into the Code window.
VBA code 1: Add tick and cross symbols into drop down list
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) 'Update by Extendoffice 20180703 If Intersect(Target, Range("B1:B10")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub If Target.Value = "Tick" Then Target.Value = "P" ElseIf Target.Value = "Cross" Then Target.Value = "S" End If End Sub
3. Go on clicking Insert > Module, then copy the following code 2 into the Module window.
VBA code 2: Add tick and cross symbols into drop down list
Sub usingSymbols() 'Update by Extendoffice 20180703 Dim xRg As Range Set xRg = Range("B1:B10") xRg.Font.Name = "Wingdings 2" xRg.Validation.Add xlValidateList, , , "Tick,Cross" End Sub
Note: In the above code, B1:B10 is the range of cells you will create tick and cross drop-down list. Please change the range as you need.
4. Press the F5 key to run the code.
Now the tick and cross symbols drop-down lists are inserted into range B1:B10. Select Tick from the drop-down will insert ✓ into cell, and select Cross will display symbol. See screenshot:
- How to auto populate other cells when selecting values in Excel drop down list?
- How to autocomplete when typing in Excel drop down list?
- How to create a drop down list calendar in Excel?
- How to create drop down list with multiple selections or values in Excel?