How to show or hide Horizontal & Vertical scroll bar in Microsoft Excel?
We can scroll through the active worksheet with horizontal scroll bar at the bottom and vertical scroll bar at the right side by default. Here we will show you some tips to turn on or off the scroll bars in the Microsoft Excel worksheets.
You have to configure Excel settings in Excel Options dialog box, if want to display or hide Horizontal/Vertical Scroll bar in Excel worksheets.
- Step 1: Click the File tab in Excel 2010 or higher version, or click the Microsoft Office Button button in Excel 2007;
- Step 2: Click the Options button;
- Step 3: In the Excel Options dialog box, go to the Advanced category;
- Step 4: Scroll down to the Display options for this workbook section;
- Step 5: Checked or unchecked the Show Horizontal Scroll bar option and Show Vertical Scroll bar option according to your needs. See screenshot:
- Step 6: Click OK. And you will get the result that you want. If you check them, the horizontal/vertical scroll bar will display, if you uncheck them, the horizontal/vertical scroll bar will hide.
The following VBA code also can help you show or hide the horizontal/vertical scroll bar. Please do as this:
Step 1: Hold down the ALT + F11 keys, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
Step 2: Click Insert > Module, and paste the following macro in the Module Window:
VBA code to hide the horizontal and vertical scroll bar:
Option Explicit Private Sub Workbook_Activate() With ActiveWindow .DisplayHorizontalScrollBar = False .DisplayVerticalScrollBar = False End With End Sub
VBA code to show the horizontal and vertical scroll bar:
Private Sub Workbook_Deactivate() With ActiveWindow .DisplayHorizontalScrollBar = True .DisplayVerticalScrollBar = True End With End Sub
Step 3: Press the F5 key to run this code. And the horizontal and vertical scroll bar will be hidden or shown.
You can easily display or hide Horizontal/Vertical Scroll bar in Excel worksheets with the View Options utility of Kutools for Excel.
Before applying Kutools for Excel, please download and install it firstly.
1: Click the Kutools > Show & Hide > View Options. See screenshot:
2: In View Options dialog box, you need to do as follows:
- (1) check or unchecked the Vertical Scrollbar option and Horizontal Scrollbar option according to your needs
- (2) If you just want to show or hide the scrollbar in current worksheet, please click the OK button. But if you want to show or hide the scroolbar in all sheets, please click the Apply to all sheets button
The View Options makes it possible to show or hide most of Microsoft Excel settings quickly, such as Inner Tabs, Formula Bar, Status Bar, Windows in Taskbar, Gridlines, Page Breaks, Display Zeros, Vertical Scroll bar, Horizontal Scroll bar, Sheet Tab, … etc. It will save your time in looking for these setting when you need to show or hide them.
- Show or hide formula bar
- Display or hide row & column headers
- Display Selection Pane
- Display or hide status bar
- Display or hide sheet tabs
- Show & hide gridlines
- Hide page breaks
- Display or hide zero values in cells of Microsoft Excel
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!