How to insert cross reference to caption in Word
For a long Microsoft Word document with important tables, figures or equations existing in, how can you do to quickly navigate between the text and the captions? Inserting cross-reference in the document will be your best choice. This tutorial will introduce you several ways about inserting a cross reference to caption for you.
Recommended Productivity Tools for Word
Amazing! Use Efficient Tabs in Word (Office) like Chrome, Firefox and New Internet Explorer!
In Microsoft Word, you can insert cross reference by the following steps:
1. Put the cursor on the place where you want to insert cross reference, then click Insert > Cross-reference. See screenshot:
2. In the pop-up Cross-reference dialog, you can:
A: Under Reference type, select the reference type from the drop-down list box.
B: Under Insert reference to, select the type of information that you want to show in the text.
C. When you select a certain reference type, all that captions in the whole document will be listed in the window. Select the caption which you want to insert.
3. Finally click Insert button to insert the field in your document.
Note: If you check Insert as hyperlink box in the dialog, it will navigate to the related caption when you hold Ctrl key and click the cross reference.
With Kutools for Word's Reference, you can quickly insert cross reference to caption in Word by a click.
Step 1. Put the cursor on the place where you want to insert cross reference and click Enterprise > Reference. See screenshot:
Step 2. After clicking Reference, click on the caption which you want to insert as cross-reference caption from the list.
Step 3. After finish the inserting, when you put the cursor on the cross-reference caption, there will be a prompt box showing to guide you the usage of this cross-reference, please hold the Ctrl key and click on the cross-reference to follow the link. See screenshot:
Kutools for Word's Pick Up Caption and Pick Down Caption also can insert cross reference to caption.
Step 1. Select a caption that you want to insert reference to in the document.
Step 2. Click Enterprise > More > Pick Up Caption, see screenshot:
Step 3. Put the cursor on the place where you want to insert the cross reference, and click Enterprise > More > Pick Down Caption to insert the cross reference.
Recommended Word Productivity Tools
- Complicated and repeated operations can be done one-time processing in seconds.
- Insert multiple images across folders into Word document at once.
- Merge and combine multiple Word files across folders into one with your desired order.
- Split the current document into separate documents according to heading, section break or other criteria.
- Convert files between Doc and Docx, Docx and PDF, collection of tools for common conversions and selection, and so on...
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoWHEN I PUT THE CURSOR AT THE REFERENCE AND CLICK PICKUP CAPTION, THE PICK DOWN CAPTION IS NOT ACTIVATED. wHAT SHOULD I DO TO FIX THIS?