- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoHi,
Good idea! However, there are two things you need to pay attentions:
(1) The default form will only contain two heading levels: the heading 1 and heading 2. To contain all levels of headings, you need to customize the table of contents: References > Custom Table of Contents, and then specify the “Show levels” as 4 or 5 or other numbers as you need.
(2) This method will remove headings styles and paste plain text only.
How to copy outline (headings) only in Word?
Normally you can easily view a certain Word document’s outline content by switching to the Outline view. However, it seems not able to copy the outline (headings) only even if you have hidden some levels in Outline view. However, this article will introduce several solutions to copy outline or headings only from a Word document.
Recommended Productivity Tools for Word
For example there is only one style of headings in your Word document, you can apply the Select All Instances feature to select and copy these headings easily. Please do as follows:
1. Place the cursor at any one of headings you will copy.
2. Now the specified heading style is highlighted on Home tab. Please right click the specified heading style, and click Select All n Instance(s) from the context menu.
3. Then all headings of this style are selected. Press Ctrl + C keys together to copy them.
4. Create a new Word document, and then press Ctrl + V keys at the same time to paste the headings.
If you want to copy the whole outline (all levels of headings) from a Word document, you can apply the Send to Microsoft PowerPoint feature to achieve it.
1. Open the Word document you will copy outline from, and click the Customize Quick Access Toolbar button > More Commands from the Ribbon. See screenshot:
2. In the opening Word Options dialog box, please (1) select Commands Not in the Ribbon from the Choose commands from drop down list; (2) find out and select the Send to Microsoft PowerPoint item from the left command box; (3) click the Add button, and finally click the OK button. See screenshot:
3. Now the Send to Microsoft PowerPoint button is added to the Quick Access Toolbar. Please click this button.
4. Now Microsoft PowerPoint is opening with the specified Word document pasted. Please click View > Outline View. See screenshot:
Note: If your document is opening in PowerPoint 2010, please click View > Normal firstly, and then click the Outline tab at the top of Navigation Pane.
5. Now the Outline is displaying on the Navigation Pane. Place cursor at the Navigation Pane, press Ctrl + A keys to select all outline content, and then press Ctrl + C keys to copy them.
6. Shift to Word window. Create a new Word document, and press Ctrl + V keys to paste the Outline content. See screenshot:
Note: This method will copy the outline content as plain text in the new Word document. For copying the outline content with heading styles, please go ahead to next method.
If you want to not only copy the whole outline content (all headings) but also copy heading styles, I recommend you to apply the Select Heading Paragraphs feature of Kutools for Outlook.Kutools for Word is a handy add-in to ease your work and enhance your ability of processing word document. Free Trial for 60 days! Get It Now!
2. Now all headings are selected in the document. Please press Ctrl + C keys to copy them.
3. Create a new Word document, and press Ctrl + V keys to paste the outline content.
Recommended Word Productivity Tools
- Complicated and repeated operations can be done one-time processing in seconds.
- Insert multiple images across folders into Word document at once.
- Merge and combine multiple Word files across folders into one with your desired order.
- Split the current document into separate documents according to heading, section break or other criteria.
- Convert files between Doc and Docx, Docx and PDF, collection of tools for common conversions and selection, and so on...
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoi think the best method is to do a table of contents.. Reference -> Table of Contents. generate it.. and copy the H1, H2, H3 from the table of contents.