How to quickly combine the first and last names in one cell in Excel?
Says you have a name roster with listing first names and last names separately in two columns, now you want to create a full name list by combining the two columns. This article is going to show you some quick tricks to combine the first and last names in Excel.
Supposing you have a name roster as the left screenshot shows, and you need to get a full name roster as right screenshot shows:
Combine the first and last names with functions
There are two functions that can combine the first and last names into one cell quickly.
1. =Concatenate(A2, " ",B2)
Step 1: In a blank cell, such as C2, enter the formulas of =Concatenate(A2, " ",B2), see screenshot:
Step 2: Press Enter key and click the Cell C2, then drag the fill handle to copy the formulas across the range that you want to fill. Then you will get a single full name column with combining the first name column and last name column.
2. =A2&" "&B2
You can use the formulas of =A2&" "&B2 with the same steps as above to get a full name roster by combining first name column and last name column.
Combine the first and last names with Kutools for Excel
With the Kutools for Excel's Combine Rows, Columns or Cells without Losing Data tool, you can quickly combine content from multiple columns (or rows) into one column (or row) without losing original data.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs more easier.|
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
Step 1: Select the range you will work with.
Step 2: Click Kutools > Merge & Split > Combine Rows, Columns or Cells without Losing Data, see screenshot:
Step 3: In Combine Columns & Rows dialog box, specify the settings as following:
- Check the Combine columns option in To combine selected cells according to following options section;
- Check the Space option in Specify a separator section;
- Specify the Options of the combined result you need, you can keep the contents, delete the contents or merge the contents of the combined cells.
Step 4: Then click OK or Apply, you will get the full name roster in the original first name column, as follows screenshot shows:
Combine first name and last name into one cell
|Kutools for Excel: 300+ functions you must have in Excel, 30-day free trial from here.|
Split first name and last name into two cells with Kutools for Excel
But in some case, when you have a single column with first name and last name in each cell, maybe now you want to split them to two cells, one includes first name, and another includes last name as below screenshot shown:
In this case, you can use Kutools for Excel’s Split Names utility to quickly split names into cells.
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:（Free Download Kutools for Excel Now!)
1. Select the column of names, and click Kutools > Merge & Split > Split Names. See screenshot:
2. In the popping dialog, check the options as you need, if there are some middle names in your list, you can check the Middle name option, too. See screenshot:
3. Click Ok and select a single cell to put the result.
4. Click OK. Now the selected names have been split into two columns and one column with first name and another with last name separately.
Split full name into first name middle name and last name
Easily Combine/Consolidate data based on same value in Excel
|Supposing you are working with a worksheet which contains multiple duplicate records, and now you need to combine / merge the rows based on the same value and do some calculations, such as sum, average, count of the duplicate rows. With this Advanced Combine Rows of Kutools for Excel, you can quickly combine same values / same data or duplicate rows into appropriate cells. Click for full-featured free trial in 30 days!|
|Kutools for Excel: with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.|
- Merge cells (combine cells contents) without losing data
- Merge rows without losing data
- Merge columns without losing data
- Split full name to first and last name
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by 80%
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than 300 powerful features. Supports Office / Excel 2007-2021 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features 30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!