How to display input message in Excel drop down list?
When creating data validation drop down list in Excel, you can enable the input message function for the drop down list as well. For the input message, you can type in notice for the drop down list when the cell is selected. In this article, we will show you how to display input message in Excel drop down list.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
For displaying input message in drop down list, please do as follows.
1. Get into the worksheet that you want to create the drop down list, and then click Data > Data Validation. See screenshot:
Note: For the drop down lists that you have created before, please select them and click Data > Data Validation, then move to step 3.
2. In the Data Validation dialog box, click the Settings tab, select List in the Allow drop-down list, select the source data for the list in the Source box;
3. Then click the Input Message tab, check the Show input message when cell is selected box, type the message you want to show in the input box in the Title and Input message boxes, and finally click the OK button. See screenshot:
From now on, when the cell which contains the drop down list is selected, the input box will be displayed with the messages you specified in step 2.
- How to auto populate other cells when selecting values in Excel drop down list?
- How to autocomplete when typing in Excel drop down list?
- How to create a searchable drop down list in Excel?
- How to create a drop down list calendar in Excel?
- How to create drop down list with multiple selections or values in Excel?