How to display input message in Excel drop down list?
When creating data validation drop down list in Excel, you can enable the input message function for the drop down list as well. For the input message, you can type in notice for the drop down list when the cell is selected. In this article, we will show you how to display input message in Excel drop down list.
Excel Productivity Tools
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 70% of your time and solve 80% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced features designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately.60-day Unlimited Free Trial
For displaying input message in drop down list, please do as follows.
1. Get into the worksheet that you want to create the drop down list, and then click Data > Data Validation. See screenshot:
Note: For the drop down lists that you have created before, please select them and click Data > Data Validation, then move to step 3.
2. In the Data Validation dialog box, click the Settings tab, select List in the Allow drop-down list, select the source data for the list in the Source box;
3. Then click the Input Message tab, check the Show input message when cell is selected box, type the message you want to show in the input box in the Title and Input message boxes, and finally click the OK button. See screenshot:
From now on, when the cell which contains the drop down list is selected, the input box will be displayed with the messages you specified in step 2.
- How to auto populate other cells when selecting values in Excel drop down list?
- How to autocomplete when typing in Excel drop down list?
- How to create a searchable drop down list in Excel?
- How to create a drop down list calendar in Excel?
- How to create drop down list with multiple selections or values in Excel?