How to make checkbox checked based on cell value in Excel?
You may know how to change a cell value based on a checkbox. But, do you know how to make a checkbox checked automatically based on a cell value in Excel? This article will show you methods to achieve it.
Supposing you want the check box 1 to be checked automatically when the value in cell A1 equals to “Test”. Please do as follows.
1. After inserting the check box (Form Control), select it and link it to a specified cell C2 by entering =C2 into the Formula Bar.
For ActiveX Control check box, please right click it and select Properties from the right-clicking menu. And in the Properties dialog box, enter the linked cell into the LinkedCell field, and then close the dialog box. See screenshot:
2. Select the lined cell (C2), then enter formula =IF(A2="Test",TRUE,FALSE) into the Formula Bar, and then press the Enter key.
Note: In the formula, A2 and Test are the cell and the cell value you need to make checkbox auto checked based on.
3. When entering value “Test” into cell A1, the corresponding checkbox will be checked automatically. See screenshot:
Note: This formula is not case sensitive.
You can run the following VBA code to make checkbox checked based on cell value in Excel.
1. Right click the Sheet Tab with the checkbox checked based on the cell value, then click View Code from the right-clicking menu.
2. In the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, please copy and paste the below VBA code into the Code window.
VBA code: Make checkbox checked based on cell value
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If Range("A2").Value = "Test" Then ActiveSheet.CheckBoxes("Check Box 1").Value = xlOn Else ActiveSheet.CheckBoxes("Check Box 1").Value = xlOff End If End Sub
Note: In the code, A2 and Test are the cell and the cell value you need to make checkbox auto checked based on. Check Box 1 is the name of the checkbox.
3. Press Alt + Q keys to close the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
When entering value “Test” into cell A2, the specified check box will be checked automatically.
Note: This code is case sensitive.
Tip: If you want to insert multiple check boxes into a selected range in bulk, you can try the Batch Insert Check Boxes utility of Kutools for Excel, or batch insert multiple Option Buttons with the Batch Insert Option Buttons utility. Besides, you can delete all check boxes at once with the Batch Delete Check Boxes utility as below screenshots shown. You can go to download Kutools for Excel! ( 30-day free trial).
- How to change a specified cell value or color when checkbox is checked in Excel?
- How to highlight cell or row with checkbox in Excel?
- How to insert date stamp into a cell if ticked a checkbox in Excel?
- How to filter data based on checkbox in Excel?
- How to hide checkbox when row is hidden in Excel?
- How to create a drop down list with multiple checkboxes in Excel?