How to show/display more than 8 lines in data validation list in Excel?
By default, a data validation drop-down list only shows 8 items in the list when clicking the drop-down arrow. So you need to drag the scroll bar down for viewing more values in the list. Actually, you can show more than 8 lines in a drop-down list with the help of Combo box. Please do as follows.
The Combo box can help you showing more than 8 lines in drop-down list in Excel.
1. Enable the Developer tab, then click Insert > Combo Box. See screenshot:
You can click here to know how to enable the Developer tab in Excel.
2. Draw a Combo Box in your worksheet and right click on it. Then select Format Control from the right-clicking menu.
3. In the Format Object dialog box, click the Control tab, and do the following operations:
You can see more than 8 lines (number of drop down lines you specified) are displayed in the drop-down list as below screenshot shown.
- How to autocomplete when typing in Excel drop down list?
- How to create a drop down list calendar in Excel?
- How to create a searchable drop down list in Excel?
- How to create drop down list with multiple selections or values in Excel?
- How to auto populate other cells when selecting values in Excel drop down list?
You are guest
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoI see now why they don't follow, but I don't know how to fix it; The ComboBox shows the value chosen from the range (in this case a single column of names), but the linked cell does not, it just shows the number of the row in the range? So if I choose the first name in the drop down list the ComboBox shows that name, but the linked cell shows 1, and so on.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoThank you for this one, finally more rows than one in the drop down.
But I'm getting a follow up problem; My HLOOKUP/VLOOKUP formulas doesn't seem to follow the input in the ComboBox, any easy solution for that?
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoWhen using a combo box for my drop down, how do I use a table column as my input range?
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoGood day,
In the Format Object dialog box, and under the Control tab, just select the table column you will display in the drop-down list in the Input range box.