How to show/display more than 8 lines in data validation list in Excel?
By default, a data validation drop-down list only shows 8 items in the list when clicking the drop-down arrow. So you need to drag the scroll bar down for viewing more values in the list. Actually, you can show more than 8 lines in a drop-down list with the help of Combo box. Please do as follows.
Excel Productivity Tools
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 70% of your time and solve 80% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced features designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately. 60-day Unlimited Free Trial
The Combo box can help you showing more than 8 lines in drop-down list in Excel.
1. Enable the Developer tab, then click Insert > Combo Box. See screenshot:
You can click here to know how to enable the Developer tab in Excel.
2. Draw a Combo Box in your worksheet and right click on it. Then select Format Control from the right-clicking menu.
3. In the Format Object dialog box, click the Control tab, and do the following operations:
3.1 Select the range with values you need to display in the drop-down list in the Input range box;
3.2 In the Cell link box, specify a linked cell for the Combo Box;
3.3 Then enter the certain drop down lines you want to display in the drop-down list in the Drop down lines box. For example, I want to display 11 lines in the drop down list, then I enter number 11;
3.4 Click the OK button.
You can see more than 8 lines (number of drop down lines you specified) are displayed in the drop-down list as below screenshot shown.
- How to autocomplete when typing in Excel drop down list?
- How to create a drop down list calendar in Excel?
- How to create a searchable drop down list in Excel?
- How to create drop down list with multiple selections or values in Excel?
- How to auto populate other cells when selecting values in Excel drop down list?