How to prevent or disable edit mode by double clicking cell in Excel?
Normally, double click on a cell will activate its edit mode in Excel. If you don’t want to enable the edit mode by double-clicking, this article will show you methods to deal with it. With the methods provided in this article, you can not only disable edit mode by double-clicking in active worksheet, but also disable edit mode by double-clicking in the whole workbook.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
If you only want to disable edit mode by double clicking in a certain range of active worksheet, the following VBA code can help you.
1. In the worksheet which you need to disable edit mode in a certain range by double clicking, please right click the sheet tab and then click View Code from the right-clicking menu.
2. In the popping up Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, please copy and paste the below VBA script into the Code window.
VBA code: Prevent to edit cell by double clicking in a certain range of current worksheet
Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean) If Not Intersect(Target, Range("A1:B10")) Is Nothing Then Cancel = True End Sub
Note: In the code, A1:B10 is the range where you will disable the edit mode by double clicking. Please change it as you need.
3. Press the Alt + Q keys to close the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
From now on, the double click to edit mode has been disabled in range A1:B10 of current worksheet.
This section is talking about preventing to edit cell by double clicking in the whole workbook. Please do as follows.
1. Please press the Alt + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. In the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, double click ThisWorkbook in the left Project pane, and then copy and paste the below VBA code into the ThisWorkbook (Code) window. See screenshot:
VBA code: Prevent to edit cell by double clicking in the whole workbook
Private Sub Workbook_SheetBeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Sh As Object, _ ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean) Cancel = True End Sub
3. Press the Alt + Q keys to exit the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
From now on, to double click on any cell in the whole workbook will not enter the edit mode.
- How to disable cut, copy and paste functions in Excel?
- How to disable right click on sheet tab in Excel?
- How to disable the right click menu in specified worksheet or whole workbook in Excel?
- How to add check mark in a cell with double clicking in Excel?
- How to auto add/enter current date/time in a cell with double clicking in Excel?
- How to double click a cell and add 1 to that cell value in Excel?
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoCan we disable Warning on locked cell when we tried to type anything on locked cells? Just like, no warning comes whrn we we try to double click on locked cells with above code.