How to convert cell contents to comments in Excel?
Maybe you have a range of cells filled with some information, and now you want to convert those cell contents to comments in a worksheet. Is it possible for you to finish this task in Excel? Here are some quick tricks to solve this problem.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
The following brief VBA code can help you to convert cell contents to comments, and you can apply the code with following steps:
1. Select the range of cell values that you want to convert to comments.
2. Click Developer > Visual Basic, a new Microsoft Visual Basic for applications window will be displayed, click Insert > Module, and input the following code into the Module:
Sub CellToComment() 'Updateby20140509 Dim Rng As Range Dim WorkRng As Range On Error Resume Next xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel" Set WorkRng = Application.Selection Set WorkRng = Application.InputBox("Range", xTitleId, WorkRng.Address, Type:=8) For Each Rng In WorkRng Rng.NoteText Text:=Rng.Value Next End Sub
3.Then click button to execute the code. And a dialog pops up for you to select a range to convert, then click OK, then all of the selected cell contents have been converted to comments. See screenshots:
As an Excel beginner, VBA code is a little difficult for you. So, I will introduce you a simple way to deal with this.
If you have installed Kutools for Excel, the Convert Comment and Cell of Kutools can help you to convert cell contents to comments quickly and conveniently. Please do as follows:
1. Highlight the range you would like to convert them to comments.
2. Click Kutools > More > Convert Comment and Cell, see screenshot:
3. In the Convert Comment and Cell dialog box, select Convert content of cells into comments option. See screenshot:
4. Click OK. And all of the selected cell contents have been converted to cell comments. See screenshot:
With Convert Comment and Cell feature, you also can convert comments to cell contents. For more detailed information about Convert Comment and Cell, please visit Convert Comment and Cell feature description.
- Change all comment formats in cells
- Change all comments' author name
- List all comments to a new worksheet or workbook
- Find and replace text within comments
- Show or hide all comments and comment indicators in Excel
- Convert comments to cell contents in Excel
You are guest
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 14 days agohi! hi about new Excel comments option, not notes?
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoHi,
I use this macro to check old values in a range of cell. How can add comments to existing comments with a text.
eg - first value is 1000. then I run the macro is must come as "was 1000" in comments.
now I have changed value to 900.
Next time I run the macro on same cell or cells it must show as
now changed value to 800.
so when I check cell comments I can see value actually dropped from 1000 to 900 and currently it is 800.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 5 years agoI need help to enter new row. However there are few condition .
1.> I need each row for Col A1(for ID# i.e. A1, A2..A25) as progressive addition when every time new row is entered. If , I'm entering new row after A20 then next row should have ID# as A21. It should always insert the row below last used row.
2.> Similarily, I need to add in progressive hyperlink cell value in the column "H1" onward.
Is this possible, If yes, please advise.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 5 years agoI'm using Excel 2010 and facing same issue i.e. when char length is more than it skip to convert in comment. Please could you please advise as what change needs to be made in code to not limit the char length.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 6 years agowhat is the string length limit for the conversion? It appears cells with Cell content longer than 255 are skipped. It would at least be better to get the first 255 characters converted
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 6 years ago[quote name="Darrel Stickler"]what is the string length limit for the conversion? It appears cells with Cell content longer than 255 are skipped. It would at least be better to get the first 255 characters converted[/quote]
Hello, please tell me the version information of your Excel. There is no such issue with Kutools for Excel 7.00. :)
please contact me at jaychivo#extendoffice.com