How to archive emails by received/modified date in Outlook?
By default, Outlook archives emails by the latest date among Sent date and time, Received date and time, and Modified date and time. Normally the modified date is later than received date, therefore, some emails are not archived even received before the specified archiving date. This article provides a workaround to archive emails by received date or modified date in Outlook.
- Auto CC/BCC by rules when sending email; Auto Forward Multiple Emails by rules; Auto Reply without exchange server, and more automatic features...
- BCC Warning - show message when you try to reply all if your mail address is in the BCC list; Remind When Missing Attachments, and more remind features...
- Reply (All) With All Attachments in the mail conversation; Reply Many Emails at once; Auto Add Greeting when reply; Auto Add Date&Time into subject...
- Attachment Tools: Auto Detach, Compress All, Rename All, Auto Save All... Quick Report, Count Selected Mails, Remove Duplicate Mails and Contacts...
- More than 100 advanced features will solve most of your problems in Outlook 2021 - 2010 or Office 365. Full features 60-day free trial.
Please follow below steps to make Outlook archive emails by received date or modified date.
1. Press Win + R keys simultaneously to open the Run dialog box.
2. In the Run dialog box, please type the text of Regedit into the Open box and click the OK button. See screenshot:
3. Now the User Account Control dialog box comes out. Please click the Yes button to go ahead.
4. Now the Registry Editor window is open. Please open the folder by below path:
Note: Above path is for Outlook 2016. If you are using Outlook 2013, please change 16.0 in above path to 15.0; for Outlook 2010, please change 16.0 to 14.0.
5. Please right click the Preference in the tree structure, select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value from the right-clicking menu, and then name the new items as ArchiveIgnoreLastModifiedTime.
6. Double click the new item to open the Edit DWOR (32-bit) value dialog box, change the value data to 1, and click the OK button. See screenshot:
Note: For archiving emails by received date, please change the value data to 1; for archiving emails by modified date, please change the value data to 0.
7. Close the Registry Editor window.
From now one, emails will be archived by received date (or modified date) if AutoArchive is enabled or you apply File > Info > Tools > Clean Up old Items manually.
Note: Unfinished flagged emails won’t be archived even if their received dates or modified dates are earlier than the specified archiving date.
In addition to adding registry key with above method, we can easily search all emails whose received/modified dates are older than the specified archiving date in a mail folder, and then manually moving these found emails into the archive folder.
1. Open the archive folder with clicking File > Open & Export (or Open)> Open Outlook Data File.
2. And now in the Open Outlook Data File dialog box, please select the .pst file where you archive emails into, and click the OK button. See screenshot:
3. Shift to the Mail view, and open the specified folder whose emails you will archive.
4. In the Instant Search box, please type received:<=2016/5/1 to search emails received on or earlier than 2016/5/1.
(1) In the search criteria of received:<=2016/5/1, you can change 2016/5/1 to any date as you need.
(2) For archiving by modified date, you can type modified:<=2016/5/1 to find emails modified on or earlier than 2016/5/1.
5. Select all found emails in the mail list, and then drag and move them into the archive folder. See screenshot:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Outlook - Over 100 Powerful Features to Supercharge Your Outlook
📧 Email Automation: Out of Office (Available for POP and IMAP) / Schedule Send Emails / Auto CC/BCC by Rules When Sending Email / Auto Forward (Advanced Rules) / Auto Add Greeting / Automatically Split Multi-Recipient Emails into Individual Messages ...
Over 100 Features Await Your Exploration! Click Here to Discover More.