How to show or hide all objects (pictures/charts/shapes/comments) in Excel?
In Excel, we usually insert some objects, such as pictures, comments, shapes and so on, but sometimes, they look in a mess and are out of order. In this situation, we need to hide them, and when we want them, we can display them at once. Here, I will talk about some quick tricks to show or hide all of the objects in Excel.
The Selection Pane in Excel can enables you to hide or show all or partial objects in active worksheet.
1. Click Home > Find & Select > Selection Pane to open the Selection Pane. See screenshot:
2. After opening the Selection and Visibility task pane, all of the objects in the active sheet have been listed in the pane. If you want to hide all of the objects, you just need to click Hide All button at the bottom of the task pane, you can also click Show All button to display the objects vise verse.
Note: If you just only want to hide part of the objects, you can click its eye check box to remove the eye icon; to redisplay a hidden object, simply click its empty eye check box to put the eye icon back into it.
Show or hide all objects in active worksheet with VBA code
The following short VBA code also can help you to show or hide all of the objects in active worksheet.
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
Hide all objects VBA code:
Sub HideEachShape() Dim sObject As Shape For Each sObject In ActiveSheet.Shapes sObject.Visible = False Next End Sub
Display all objects VBA code:
Sub ShowEachShape() Dim sObject As Shape For Each sObject In ActiveSheet.Shapes sObject.Visible = True Next End Sub
3. Then press F5 key to run the code, all of the objects in the active worksheet will be hidden or displayed.
Show or hide all objects in all worksheets with Kutools for Excel
With Kutools for Excel’s View Options tool, you can quickly hide or show all of the objects in all worksheets at once.
When you have installed Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:
1. Click Kutools > Show / Hide > View Options, see screenshot:
2. In the View Options dialog box, under the Objects section, click Hide all or Show all to hide or display all of the objects in the whole workbook.
The View Options tool makes it possible to show or hide most of Microsoft Excel settings quickly, such as Inner Tabs, Formula Bar, Status Bar, Windows in Taskbar, Gridlines, Page Breaks, Display Zeros, Vertical Scrollbar, HorizontalScrollbar, Sheet Tabs, … etc. It will save your time in looking for these setting when you need to show or hide them.
Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
More than 300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
my problem is that I need a VBA-code due to collapse or expand the hierarchic of all grouped shapes which is shown in the selection and visibility pane. E.g. some shapes are grouped into an option. So if I open the selection pane all sub-shapes are expanded, and I must close (collapse) it before I get an overview in the selection list. Usually I have about 30 grouped options and sometime the sub-grouped shapes are built from single shapes or sub-sub-shapes. Thank you for your help. Niko