How to move down to or select the next empty cell in a column in Excel?
For a list of data mixed with blank cells, sometimes you may need to move down to select the empty cell for finish the list. In this article, we will show you method of selecting the next/first empty cell in a column in Excel.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
As below screenshot shown, you need to move down to select the first blank cell in column A. Please achieve it with the following VBA code.
1. Press Alt + F11 keys simultaneously to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. In the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, click Insert > Module. Then copy and paste the below VBA code into the Code window.
VBA code: Move down to or select the next/first empty cell in a column
Sub Macro2() On Error Resume Next Dim xCell As Range For Each xCell In ActiveSheet.Columns(1).Cells If Len(xCell) = 0 Then xCell.Select Exit For End If Next End Sub
Note: Columns(1) means the blank cell you need to select locates in the first column (column A) of worksheet. You can change it as you need.
3. Press the F5 key to run the code, then the first blank cell in column A will be selected immediately.
- How to automatically move cursor to specific cell in Excel?
- How to move entire row to another sheet based on cell value in Excel?
- How to move entire row to the bottom of active sheet based on cell value in Excel?
- How to move column/row without replacing/overwriting existing data in Excel?
- How to move to the beginning or start of next row for data entry in Excel