How to move down to or select the next empty cell in a column in Excel?
For a list of data mixed with blank cells, sometimes you may need to move down to select the empty cell for finish the list. In this article, we will show you method of selecting the next/first empty cell in a column in Excel.
Recommended Productivity Tools for Excel
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 71% of your time and solve 82% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced tools designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately.60-day Unlimited Free Trial
As below screenshot shown, you need to move down to select the first blank cell in column A. Please achieve it with the following VBA code.
1. Press Alt + F11 keys simultaneously to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. In the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, click Insert > Module. Then copy and paste the below VBA code into the Code window.
VBA code: Move down to or select the next/first empty cell in a column
Sub Macro2() On Error Resume Next Dim xCell As Range For Each xCell In ActiveSheet.Columns(1).Cells If Len(xCell) = 0 Then xCell.Select Exit For End If Next End Sub
Note: Columns(1) means the blank cell you need to select locates in the first column (column A) of worksheet. You can change it as you need.
3. Press the F5 key to run the code, then the first blank cell in column A will be selected immediately.
- How to automatically move cursor to specific cell in Excel?
- How to move entire row to another sheet based on cell value in Excel?
- How to move entire row to the bottom of active sheet based on cell value in Excel?
- How to move column/row without replacing/overwriting existing data in Excel?
- How to move to the beginning or start of next row for data entry in Excel