How to change negative number to zero in Excel?
Says you import some data to Microsoft Excel with many negative numbers, you have to remove all negative numbers and replace them with zero. Of course, you can manually deal with it one by one if you are patient enough. Most of us may think of tricky ways. Actually there are some easy tips to change negative number to zero conveniently in Excel.
The left example may be easier to understand: there are some negative numbers in a range of cells, and I will guide you to change all negative numbers to zeros at once in the selection.
Recommended Productivity Tools for Excel
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 71% of your time and solve 82% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced tools designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately.60-day Unlimited Free Trial
The Microsoft Excel's IF function can recognize negative numbers and change them to zero without affect positive numbers.
Step1: In a blank cell, says the Cell E1, input the formula =IF(A1<0,0,a1), see screenshot:
Step2:Then press Enter key, and drag the fill handle across to the range that you want to contain this formula. And all negative numbers have been changed to zeros. See screenshots:
Step3: As they are formulas, when you copy them to other cells, please paste as values.
Note: This way will fill the blank cells with zero, too.
Actually, we can format a selection and show all negative numbers as zeros. You can do it with following steps:
Step1: Select the range that you will work with.
Step2: Right click the selection, and select the Format Cells item from the context menu.
Step3: In the Format Cells dialog box:
- Click Number tab;
- Select the Custom in the category box;
- In theType: box, enter the #,##0;"0" , see the following screenshot:
Step4: Click OK button. Then all negative numbers in the selection display as zeros.
Note: This way only shows the negative numbers as zero, but not change the value of negative numbers.
The Change sign of values utility of Kutools for Excel helps you easily change the negative numbers to zeros with several clicks.
1. Select the range with the negative numbers you need to change to zeros, and then click Kutools > Content > Change Sign of Values, see screenshot:
2. In the popping up Change Sign of Values dialog box, select the Change all negative value to zero option, and then click the OK button. See screenshot:
Then all negative values in selected range are changed to zeros immediately as below screenshot shown.
Kutools for Excel includes more than 300 handy Excel tools. Free to try with no limitation in 60 days. Download the free trial now!
- Change negative numbers to positive
- Change positive numbers to negative
- Reverse signs of values in cells
- Fix trailing negative signs in cells
- Select cells based on certain criteria
- Select cells with specific text
- Select all negative numbers in Excel