How to create a search folder from Inbox only in Outlook?
When creating a search folder in Outlook, it will search emails in all folders of the same email account. But, this article will show you how to change the default search scope and let a search folder search emails in the Inbox folder only.
Office Tab: Enable Tabbed Editing and Browsing in Office, Just Like Chrome, Firefox, IE 8/9/10.
Classic Menu: Bring Old Menus and Toolbars Back to Office 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 and 2019.
For creating a search folder within Inbox folder only in Outlook, please do as follows:
1. In the Mail view, select the email account you will create the search folder within on the Navigation Pane (or Folder Pane), and click Folder > New Search Folder. See screenshot:
2. In the New Search Folder dialog box, click to highlight the Create a custom Search Folder option, and click the Choose button. See screenshot:
3. Now you get into the Custom Search Folder dialog box, type a name for the new search folder in the Name box, and click the Criteria button; next in the opening Search Folder Criteria dialog box, specify the search criteria and click the OK button.
4. Now you return to the Custom Search Folder dialog box, please click the Browse button; next in the Select Folder(s) dialog box, please only check the Inbox folder and click the OK button.
Note: it’s optional to check the Search subfolders option in the Select Folder(s) dialog box.
5. Click the OK buttons to close the Custom Search Folder dialog box and New Search Folder dialog box.
And now a new search folder is created and it will search emails in the Inbox folder only.
If you have created a search folder, you can change its search scope to Inbox folder only with below steps:
1. In the Mail view, select the search folder whose search scope you need to change on the Navigation Pane (or Folder Pane), and click Folder > Customize This Search Folder. See screenshot:
2. Now in the opening Customize dialog box, please click the Browse button. See screenshot below:
3. In the popping out Select Folder(s) dialog box, please only check the Inbox folder, optional check the Search subfolders option, and click the OK button. See screenshot above.
4. Click the OK button in the Customize dialog box.
So far, the selected search folder’s search scope has been changed to the Inbox folder only.
Recommended Productivity Tools
- Complicated and repeated operations can be done a one-time processing in seconds.
- Forward multiple emails individually with one-click, and auto forward by rules.
- Auto CC/BCC every sending email and easy for customizing rules, and auto reply without requiring exchange server.
- Powerful junk emails filter, remove duplicate emails, reply with attachment, bunch of one-click operations, and so on...
- 60-day unlimited free trial. 60-day money back guarantee. 2 years free upgrade and support. Buy once, use forever.