Easily reverse order of characters in a cell with functions in Excel
Kutools for Excel
For example you have a list of names which is displaying as "first name, last name" in Excel, and you need to reverse the order and show names as "last name, first name", how will you get it done? Here we introduce the REVERSETEXT function of Kutools for Excel which can help you reverse the order of characters in cells at once.
Enable you to do smarter, faster and better
Let's say there is a sentence in a cell as below screen shot shown. You can reverse the order of all characters in this cell with the REVERSETEXT Function easily as followings:
1. Select a blank cell, and then click Kutools > Kutools Functions > Text > REVERSETEXT.
2. In the popping up Function Arguments dialog box, click the button to specify the cell that you will reverse the order of all characters in the Txt box.
Tip: You can just enter the specified cell into the Txt box.
3. Click the OK button. Then you will see all characters' order are reversed at once.
Tip: After selecting a blank cell, you can enter the formula =REVERSETEXT(A1) and press the Enter key directly to reverse all characters in cell A1.
Sometimes, we may need to reverse the order of characters in a cell with given separator, such as space, comma, semicolon, or something else. For example, you have a list of names whose first names and last names are separated by comma as below screen shot shown. The REVERSETEXT function can help you reverse first name and last name of the full name by comma easily.
1. Select a blank cell besides the name list, says Cell B2, and click Kutools > Kutools Functions > Text > REVERSETEXT.
2. In the opening Function Arguments dialog box, you need to:
(1) In the Txt box, specify the cell that you want to reverse the first name and last name by comma;
(2) In the Separator_char box, enter the separator of comma ",". Tip: when you enter comma mark, the quotation marks will be added automatically.
3. Click the OK button. Now you will see the first name and last name of specified full names are reversed by the comma.
4. Select the Cell B2, drag the Fill Handle to apply this function to the range you need.
(1) If you need to reverse words in a cell by other separators, for example space or semicolon, just enter the space or semicolon into the Separator_char box of Function Arguments dialog box.
(2) After selecting the blank cell, you can directly enter formula =REVERSETEXT(A2,",") into it, and then drag the Fill Handle to the range you need. If you want to reverse by other separators, just replace the comma between quotation marks with your separator in the formula.
The following tools can greatly save your time and money, which one is right for you?
Office Tab: Using handy tabs in your Office, as the way of Chrome, Firefox and New Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: More than 300 Advanced Functions for Excel 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 and Office 365.
Classic Menu for Office: Bring back familiar menus to Office 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2019 and 365, as if it were Office 2000 and 2003.
The functionality described above is just one of 300 powerful functions of Kutools for Excel.
Designed for Excel(Office) 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 and Office 365. Free download and use for 60 days.