How to sort a column but keep intact rows in Excel?
Suppose you have multiple columns in a worksheet, now you want to sort a column and keep its intact rows order as below screenshot shown. Here I will tell you some ways to solve this problem in Excel.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
In Excel, you can use the Sort function to sort a column and keep rows.
1. Select the column data you want to sort, and then click Data > Sort. See screenshot:
2. In the Sort Warning dialog, keep Expand the selection option checked, and click Sort.
3. In the Sort dialog, specify the criterion that you will sort on and the sorting order. See screenshot:
4. Click OK. Now the selected column has been sorted and the intact rows are still kept.
If you want to sort the column data based on the absolute values, the Sort function of Excel cannot directly help you sort them. Now I introduce the Advanced Sort of Kutools for Excel for you.
With Kutools for Excel’s Advanced Sort function, you can sort data by absolute value, month, day, frequency, last name and so on.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs more easier.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:（Free Download Kutools for Excel Now!)
1. Select all the data range and then click Enterprise > Advanced Sort. See screenshot:
2. In the Advanced Sort dialog, select the column you want to sort, and then select the criterion you want to sort on, then select the sorting order. See screenshot:
3. Click Ok. Now the selected column data has been sorted with intact rows kept.
If you are interested in Kutools for Excel’s Advanced Sort utility, you can click here to know more detail about this utility.
Tabbed browsing & editing multiple Excel workbooks/Word documents as Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explore 10!
You may be familiar to view multiple webpages in Firefox/Chrome/IE, and switch between them by clicking corresponding tabs easily. Here, Office Tab supports similar processing, which allow you to browse multiple Excel workbooks or Word documents in one Excel window or Word window, and easily switch between them by clicking their tabs. Click for free 30-day trial of Office Tab!