How to determine/check if date is a weekend in Excel?
Sometimes, you may need to determine if a date falls on a weekend in order to arrange your personal affairs. With this tutorial, you will learn how to determine or check if a given date is a weekend in Excel.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
For example, you would like the specified cell to be populated with TRUE if the given date falls on a weekend, and populated with FALSE if the date does not belong to a weekend, the following formula will help you.
1. Select a blank cell for placing the result, enter this formula =IF(WEEKDAY(A2,2)>5,TRUE,FALSE) into the Formula Bar, and then press the Enter key. See screenshot:
2. Drag the Fill Handle to the cells you want to cover with this formula. Then you will get the result as below screenshot shown.
Note: If there are blank cells in the date range, it will be displayed TURE as well.
With the Apply Date Formatting utility of Kutools for Excel, you can easily change all given dates to day of week name for determining if date is a weekend in Excel. Please do as follows.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
1. If you don’t want to directly convert the original data, please copy and paste it to a new column which is adjacent to the original one. Select this new pasted data and click Kutools > Format > Apply Date Formatting. See screenshot:
2. In the Apply Date Formatting dialog box, select Wednesday or Wed in the Date formatting box, and then click the OK button.
Then you will get the result as below screenshot shown, and you can easily check if a specific date falls on weekend based on the date name.
- How to determine if a date falls between two dates or weekend in Excel?
- How to determine if a number or value is in a range in Excel?
- How to determine if date has passed in Excel?